SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let me start out by saying that my husband and I love our Saab....

We have a '95 Saab 900 SE 4-door hatchback (manual transmission). I need help figuring out if we should save it or junk it.

When the car was running (the battery is dead right now), we had some issues when shifting gears, it made no difference whether it was from a stop or while in motion. We would shift gears, say from second to third. As we press the accelerator and let up off the clutch, it feels like the engine is getting almost no power. It had gotten so bad that we were revving the RPMs to 3000 or 4000 just to get moving; it felt like we were driving underwater (you know, in slow motion; old ladies were accelerating faster than us!). There didn't seem to be any unusual revving while in neutral. It just seemed like we had very little acceleration.

We haven't driven the car in a year (we haven't had the money to fix it), and now we have to deal with the dead battery and two flat front tires (I guess they went flat from dry rot).

So, does anyone have any advice or comments as to:
1. what the acceleration problem is?
2. what the repair bill would be (approximately)?
3. do you think we should resurrect the car?

Thanks for your help!
Mel

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
well this is the classic 900 forum the old school saabs, your problem doesn't sounds very bad to me, could be as simple as a vacuum line that came undone, try the ng saab 900 forum.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Sounds like the clutch is slipping and needs to be replaced.
If the car looks and runs good, I would definately say its worth fixing.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
It does sound like the clutch was slipping.

When at 3/4000 revs did the car ever get going in a normal manner?

When the car was at the high revs did it sound normal? Was it just the fact that the power was not being turned into motion?

If so then yeah just get a new clutch put in, New tyres and an oil and filter change with an engine flush and your away.

I say a flush as it has been sat for a year so best just to give the engine a wash through with a can of flush.

Just pour the flush into the engine and start her up run for 20 minutes drain the flush along with the old oil, fit a new filter ect and you have a clean engine.

Good luck

Oh I have a 94 900 turbo, I love it also. :D

Dead

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
Get the car rolling first, until then it is hard to know what to suggest. You can get more money for a running car even with a bad clutch.

First I would confirm that the clutch is the problem, it can be hard to tell on this car if you are not familiar with it. I am surprised tires would dry out in a year of standing, you might just need to put the car on stands for a day, take the wheels somewhere to patch properly, and reinflate. (or get two used tires until you figure out what is up with the car)

Vacuum hoses would be crumbling to pieces if they have not been touched in almost 10 years, and only cost 50 cents per foot. PVC valve could be cracked or broken ($15), they are plastic on this car. Boost pressure control valve could be dirty (can be cleaned with compressed air). Throttle and/or throttle cable could be sticking if never cleaned, etc... lots of little pesky things before you get to the big money items.

As for the clutch, if you do confirm that you need one, there are some related items that should at least be looked at simultaneously, rear engine seal (a $10 part which is very hard to get to otherwise), front transmission mount, clutch cable, etc...

·
Registered
6,596 Posts
I'd suggest doing a quick check to see what similar running cars in your area go for. I'm not sure about SE's, but the S's go for ~2500.00 or so. Of course it depends on exactly what's wrong with yours, but if it needs a clutch ($1000+), Tires and a lot of other work then perhaps you'd be better off just looking around for another one.

I hate to see any car get junked, but it's worth knowing the replacement cost. Of course it depends on exactly what's wrong with yours, but if you can buy a running one for less than fixing yours, then perhaps that makes more sense. Also, if it's been sitting for a year, it's possible the brakes and other parts will now need attention.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts