SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to buy a Saab as a second car/non-daily driver.

I want a convertible and have located 2 1998 SE Turbos.

#1 - I can purchase for $3900. 122k miles. Exterior in very good shape, interior looks good except driver seat worn. Drove it and it seemed fine, boost was strong and it handled fine. Engine compartment is a mess and it looks like its leaking oil pretty badly but not sure if its the headgasket(oil looked clean without water and the oil cap did not have white residue).

#2 - I can purchase for $6500. 91k miles.I have yet to see the car but from photos it looks great.

Do you think its worth it to buy the lower mileage car for the extra $2600? Of course there is no guarantee that that car would be mechanically superior.... What would you do?

Again, I would not need this car on a daily basis so I will not be putting alot of miles on it...

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
al. said:
Do you think its worth it to buy the lower mileage car for the extra $2600? Of course there is no guarantee that that car would be mechanically superior.... What would you do?
Unless you are familiar with the engine and can tell what is wrong, I would buy the lower mileage car if the car and engine looks clean, but be aware that many dealers clean up the engine prior to sale. Oil leaks from the valve cover and head area can be an indicator of other problems to come.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts