SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys ,
I have been (slowly ) rebuilding a B205 that is going into 2001 aero . For various reasons its been a slow burn project .
As of this weekend the reassembled engine is back in the engine bay and gearbox attached , clutch bled.
The motor was stripped down totally and the block and the head have been into a machine shop .
The problem I have , I have 2 identical bolts that remain , from memory these came back in small box of parts from the machine shop so could have been taken off the block. IT is possible that they are NOT Saab related I guess , and put in that box by mistake . But I have a nagging doubt/paranoia that I have missed something on reassembly as it has been patch work over a long time period .
They are 12mm diameter 36mm in length , they look 1.25mm pitch , Iniatilly on eyeball I thought flywheel , but the flywheel and bolts never left here and are fully accounted for,
They have a 19mm hex head that has a flange as part of it , they are a shallow head, black as opposed plated . There is evidence/residue of orange paint (or sealant) on the heads and under the flange of the hex head . They look internal engine bolts. it isnt Loctite 518 red. There is also evidence on the hex that they were difficult to remove , so perhaps an extremely high torque bolt .
They are just not a bolt I instantly recognise as Saab

It also crossed my mind that they could be a blanking bott for the oil gallery at the flywheel end , but there is from memory just one such plug ( That I trust I refitted) but cannot tell without pulling gearbox etc . Ialso think its a lot shorter in length ( plug only)
I have included a Pic , if anyone has a motor diassmebled could they masure that oil gallery blanking plug or see if they can match dimensions to bolts they have , or if anyone has a suggestion of what they could be I would love to hear it.
They are NOT big end or main bearing bolts, flywheel or pressure pate bolts , I dont belive they are head related ( albeit the head was stripped ). Again they may not be Saab related at all , but I have to check .

·
Registered
Current: 2000 9-3 Aero 5d, Family: 85 900i 3dr.
1,069 Posts
Suggestion - it may not work - go into the EPC - add your VIN then search on the bolt size - eg 12mm. Use keywords like Hex etc.
I'm sure you may have already done that.
Do you have any missing bolts from cosmetic or alternative areas - like air shields, turbo heat shields, radiator links, exhaust links?
I hope they are just spare bolts that are not needed.

I initially thought of suspension chassis bolts - but they are not long enough.

·
Registered
8,981 Posts
I just tore down a B205 block and I don't remember any bolts like that ... They aren't part of the balance shaft drive, the rotating assembly, or the end plates to the best of my knowledge.

The size/shape makes me think they would be plugs (like the oil filter housing) but not at that length. I have that gallery plug soaking in penetrating oil... I will pull it out later today.

I don't immediately see any bolts like that in my M12 bin, and that makes me think they aren't from a Saab.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Are they fine thread bolts, if so they might be flywheel bolts? That's the only ones I can think of with a shallow head like that.

·
Registered
4,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you all ,
Carfixer , yes fine , but not flywheel they were complete ( recently fitted )
Mort , good idea the EPC , but I Dont have it working at the moment , not subframe of suspension all accouted for , not for fitting heat shield or trurbo ( all done)
Jvan , Thanks for the meaurement the dimensions eliminate the gallery bolt that i thought i may have missed . ) i remember removing that bolt and running a pipe cleaner up the gallery ) ,
Although its been awhile since tear down I just dont recall them and just not a familar bolt to me at all as a saab bolt
Limited in b205 exposure but multiple b202;s etc.
One that has come to mind is the shutter wheel to the crank , but i think they are a much smaller diameter and perhaps countersunk heads Jvan could you check ones size ?
I am hoping/thinking they are randoms accidentally in the box back from the machine shop .
Thanks again all .

·
Registered
191 Posts
I'm pretty sure the flywheel bolts have threads all the way to the bolt head, so these couldn't be flywheel bolts. I don't know of any other 19mm head bolts used on the 900/9-3, other than maybe subframe bolts and coolant/oil banjo/plug bolts. But these are too short for subframe, and too long to be a oil/coolant plug.

·
Registered
4,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Mystery solved , YEP , flywheel bolts , just not off a Saab :)

After convincing myself they were non Saab , I dragged a Mitsubishi Diesel motor out of the depths of my Shed .... It is an even slower burn project HIDDEN from sight .

Guess what , 2 flyweel bolts missing and orange sealant all over the others , This motor came back from the machine shop at around the same time , But has not even got close to reassembly, so no check of bolts etc . So its a simple case of 2 bolts in the wrong box . Someones bad , probaly mine !
Thanks all for your help , apologies for the non event .
You cant imagine how relieved I am knowing I dont have to disconnect the clutch lines again , (gearbox removal) WHAT A right PIA of a thing to bleed,
Anyway I can now crank it over with out safety glasses , a bullet proof vest and a hard hat... :)

New rings etc , what say see thee , Dino for run in ? Have read a lot thats its preferable to syn for bedding rings . it would be treated like a flush oil . changed in a shortish time frame

·
Registered
121 Posts
Thats good news. Yes I always use old fashioned hard to find here oil for break in. Or even break in oil if that's what I can find. I use it for 20 to 100 miles before I dump it.

·
Registered
4,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thats good news. Yes I always use old fashioned hard to find here oil for break in. Or even break in oil if that's what I can find. I use it for 20 to 100 miles before I dump it.
Thanks Fixer , I picked up some mineral 10w 30 today , that will last long enough to tell me re further capital investment ;) !

1 - 11 of 11 Posts