Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
I just received my HID kit for fog lights.
I did all the installation, it seemed pretty simple.
but I think that something is wrong....When ever i just have my key in the Ignition and when i have it on a step right before you turn it on, fog lights work perfectly. Once I start the car up, my fog lights start blinking. They just go through some weird phases....anyone had this problem when they installed their hids in fog lights? anything that I need to do to fix this? capacitor?
thank you

huso

·
Registered
458 Posts
Ya it is common. If you are using a kit with a relay I suggest cutting out the relay. By that i mean attach the factory harness directly to the ballast then from the ballast to the hid bulb. My kit came with another harness that ran a power line from the battery with a relay and a chassis ground. I had to not use that harness at all and just connect directly from the factory harness right into the ballast then out to the lights. Hope this was clear. I have heard of other people tying in capacitors to stop the strobing, but this is easier IMO.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
heyyy this is the kit that I got.
http://www.jaguarforums.com/m_45439/tm.htm
it's the same one...so yess there is two wires coming out of the ballast.
so what I need to do is, hook my HID bulb with the wires, straight to the ballast (so take all the connectors out) and then Positive/Negative wire coming from the car? take that and plug it straight into the ballast? again take all the connectors out? Do u know why it blinks like this? is it icause there is loss of power? or ?

thanks

·
Registered
34 Posts
if its like any system that Ive seen aftermarket then it blinks for a minute if that and then works...im guessing its to warm up. Ive had a few aftermarket hid kits and they seem to all work like that. If they cut off after blinkking for a little then I don't know what that could be.

·
Registered
89 Posts
shift_6spd said:
When ever i just have my key in the Ignition and when i have it on a step right before you turn it on, fog lights work perfectly. Once I start the car up, my fog lights start blinking. They just go through some weird phases.
The UEC keeps the fogs at 13V to prevent overheating using pwm. With the engine off, battery voltage will be below that so pwm duty cycle will be 100% (continuous). As soon as you start the engine, the voltage will go above 13V. The pwm then cuts the duty cycle and the fog supply will oscillate.

shift_6spd said:
capacitor?
May solve it

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
bumpppp...
but anywaysss i figured a way to fix it temporary, untill someone finds a real way to fix this problem.
ALl you gotta do is start up the ac on high for around 5-10 seconds, and then turn it off and HIDs will work just fine.
Apparently AC makes battery work harder dropping the power down and HIDs being able to function correctly...It just worked for me. so i'll see how it goes 2morrow too.

if anyone knows how to fix this problem...pls let me know...and let me know if that harness relay kit will fix it too
thankk you

·
Registered
114 Posts
shift_6spd said:
lol i Fixed mine..but it was a toughh onee.
I just decided to run cables from the fog lights to a little switch underneath my dashboard :)...and now it works haha
i was able to fix mine by using a 1000uf 35W capacitor in line with the ballast. no more strobing issues!

·
Registered
204 Posts
A bit off topic

Just want to point out that I noticed that the individual fog lights are priced higher than the fog light kit.

RH Fog light = $174.60 (12777403)
LH Fog light = $164.90 (12777402)

Fog light kit, include both LH + RH Fog light = $109.61 (12787092)

I want to replace both of my foglights as both have tons of pit marks and haze. So I called several dealers around the area and they all said that the fog light kit is back ordered. Has anyone noticed this too?

PS: I have 6000k HID on my foggies and running capacitors (used 2200uf, 50V) parallel to the power lines for the HID stops the flickering/strobing ;)

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
TaiMyShu said:
Just want to point out that I noticed that the individual fog lights are priced higher than the fog light kit.

RH Fog light = $174.60 (12777403)
LH Fog light = $164.90 (12777402)

Fog light kit, include both LH + RH Fog light = $109.61 (12787092)

I want to replace both of my foglights as both have tons of pit marks and haze. So I called several dealers around the area and they all said that the fog light kit is back ordered. Has anyone noticed this too?

PS: I have 6000k HID on my foggies and running capacitors (used 2200uf, 50V) parallel to the power lines for the HID stops the flickering/strobing ;)
Its NOT backordered I would assume... just the stealer trying to jerk people for an extra $250 bux. Why dont you try nick at genuinesaab.com? thats where I got my kit from.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The UEC keeps the fogs at 13V to prevent overheating using pwm. With the engine off, battery voltage will be below that so pwm duty cycle will be 100% (continuous). As soon as you start the engine, the voltage will go above 13V. The pwm then cuts the duty cycle and the fog supply will oscillate.

May solve it
This is the only person here with any knowledge of the vehicle and how the stuff works so far. Everything / advice before this comment null and void basically a capacitor should take care of it figuring it stays charged up and acts as a power reservoir so the the pulse width modulation will keep juicing up the capacitor while the ballast has a constant draw from the capacitor. Another option would be to try and trick the car into only seeing 12v or possibly no volts, but I have not dig deep enough yet to check possibilities.

·
Super Moderator
18,916 Posts
Thanks 11 years later.... (y)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.