SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone removed the fuel pump from their ng900, i am trying but the plastic ring at the top of the tank will not budge. is it threaded like most cars? any suggestions how to get it off without loosing my mind would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

vince

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
I think there may have been another man who used the same access method, judging from one of the photos, I can locate the access hole centerline within 25 mm.

And this method does appear to be easier, unless one has the lift-luxury..

Before starting, record the fuel level reading..
And wondering, if a man measures the fuel pressure at 30K miles, logs it in a book, and does this same thing at 60, 90, etc and observes a 5% drop each time - would that be a sign of impending failure ??
The ohms should also be measured and recorded, and the same applies.
I believe this procedure can prevent a break-down on the highway...
Also money can be saved...

I'm sure Saab has a special tool for the plastic ring, and that GM also has the same thing.
Probably most of the GM mechanics use a hammer and punch, just as would, and did on the Saab 99 of many years ago...

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
The plastic retaining ring is one of the biggest fights I ever had with a car and still ended up winning (the other biggest fight was removing the front O2 sensor - and I lost that one!).

Saab does make a special tool for removing it, but I wasn't about to go buy one. I used two vice grips and eventually got it...the trick is getting above the ring so you have leverage - not easy to do when you are laying under the car next to the fuel tank...

·
Registered
867 Posts
When I replaced my pump unit early this year, I couldn't get the retaining ring out with pliars so I made a special tool. I cut a wood block 5-3/8" long, 1-1/2" wide and 3/4" thick to remove the ring. I needed to cut a notch in the block so it would slide into the gaps between the ridges and miss the raised section for the hose fittings. The block allowed me to get much more force on the ring to break it free.
I took the fittings off first and then could work on the pump in a more comfortable place. I can't imagine trying to do this under the car. I can send you a picture if you PM me with your e-mail address.

GaryG

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
Why not just post the pic as a thumbnail? That way it will be here for other people to see, if anyone looks up the post later.

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
Gary, I believe you have made a replica of the $$$ Saab fuel pump ring removal tool..And if you used oak, it will be as effective and durable as the welded steel factory piece..
IMO, having the dimensions is sufficient in making a duplicate..
TIA,
Adrian

1 - 7 of 7 Posts