SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Forgive my novel, maybe more is better?
Possibly significant background: I have a 2006 97x that had an aftermarket nav/radio put in when I bought it used in 2009. The place that installed it was recommended by the dealer, but turned out to be an shoddy operation that was empty and closed down when I went back to complain. He hacked the wires and made a mess of whatever, although the radio and steering controls (kinda) work ok. Once in a while you have to hit the dash really hard to get static to stop. I have always had that popping and cracking on the brakes etc that I thought was just due to the bad wiring, but now I have read similar issues on factory installs… anyway the point, fast forward 5 years:

1. Last week out of no where both fobs (with integrated keys) stopped lock/unlock/panic working. Manual locks work just fine, car drives fine. Did extensive troubleshooting at home. Gave up and brought it to the dealer.

2. I mentioned to the dealer the driver door module recall and wondered if that should be addressed also, they agreed and had the part. The first thing that was said to me was that one fob was "bad", the other just lost it's programming. I was doubtful, but whatever, at least it was fixed. He was starting the recall part now. Wait an hour... The second thing that was said to me was that he installed the part but couldn't get my computer to talk to the module. He ended up pulling the replacement part out and putting mine back in because I was pressed for time by then (3 hours). I finally got my car back, pressed the good fob and nothing! When the service person talked to the mechanic guy he said no, he was not able to program it.

3.Now I have a car with no working fobs, no replaced door module, and don't know what to do. The dealer was going to call saab to ask why the computer won't program, but I have little faith that I will ever get a call back.

I would appreciate any help or thoughts here!!

PS- I am pretty techie , although I am not a mechanic..if this is a computer issue, I would love to fix it myself!
PPS- I love my car and besides the bad wiring, and loud air compression, and poor climate control, and noisy cabin, and fist shaking husband, it has been good to me.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Fobs:

See if you can program the fobs yourself, there is a thread on how to in here somewhere.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, but I figured out it was a pretty common issue with a broken wire through the liftgate. Looking under Chevy instead of Saab opened a whole new world!

Now I have an issue with both heated seats only working on the back and not the butt. Coincidence?

·
Registered
191 Posts
Yes, there is plenty of stuff out there under Chevy, Buick or GMC platform-wise that will cover the Saab.

I'm thinking its just a coincidence, but who knows with these vehicles! I swear they're possessed at times! :roll: So do all the lights work on the switch for the heated seats? It could be the switches, but perhaps there is a fuse that blew? GM is known for the heated seat elements themselves burning out, almost every car or truck that I had more than 100K on it they went out...:x

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes all the lights work, I don't think it is a fuse (I had that problem before). I could think it is a burnt out element, but I thought it was strange that both seats stopped at the same time and both after I was fooling with the fuse box and back wiring. It may be my imagination, but it almost feels like the back heater is super hot (hotter than it was when the butt worked).

Also, because this car makes me want to kiss it and kick it at the same time- my fix with the rear/key issues is fixed for the most part, but sometimes the fobs don't work until I lift the handle of the trunk. I don't have to open the gate, just lift the handle. Maybe I screwed something else up?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts