SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hopefully someone here can help me out. I just replaced the plugs, wires, cap, and rotors yesterday. everything ran fine. today it wouldnt rev up without hestitating majorly. then it wouldn't start at all. seemed as though the pump was going out.so i replaced the pump and filter. ended up having to drop the gas tank to get the filter gas in line off. teh line in was rusted on so bad i had to put the fiter in a vise to get it off, adn then it ripped apart the filter. anyways, got everythign put back together, adn its still screwed up. it wont rev above 3-4k rpm. it absolutely will not go above 30-35mph. no matter how slowly i push the gas down, it hesitates. if i go widen open quickly, it just about stalls.

if i cant figure it out, its going into the shopp tomorrow, and its ghoing on the charge card. i hope it doesnt come to that, so comeone people, give mne some ideas.

by the way, im going to start by putting the old electrical parts back on tomorrow.

thanks for any help.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Just a stab in the dark: Sounds like your car is suffering from very low fuel pressure:eek:

If you replaced the pump with a used one, it might be worn out. Try reinstalling the old one.

Another wild-a** guess: Is the fuel filter installed the right way round?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, the pump is new, and the filter is the rigth way. thanks for the humor though, i needed a little luagh.

i'm thinking maybe the fuel pressure regulator.

by the way, it's a '93 16v non turbo.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I checked those quite a few times, but im going to reiunstall the old ones, and if that works, the new ones are going rigth back, after i clean them up a bit.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Check your mass airflow sensor (air mass meter) everybody calls it something else. It sounds like my 87 n/a. It would not rev up past 3k rpm and would not get above 40 mph. you might want to also check your coil and coil lead. hope it helps.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well, i just called the saab dealership, and talked to a tech guy. i explained the whole thing to him, he also suggested the coil lead wire. so i'm going out to try that. otherwise, its a week and a half to get the car in to look at it.

Napa doesnt even show a mass airflow sensor. and a coil would have to be freigthed from virginia.

i hate my car right now. it wopnt even start rigth now. but once its running, im sure i'll love it again.

·
Registered
7,033 Posts
From my vast experience with many cruddy ignitions this definately sounds like a bad coil or lead. Especially so if you are able to get it to run ok at WOT above 4000RPM.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok, checked over everything. there is gas getting to the engine, but no spark at the plugs, new wiring or old. so its off to finds a coil, and hope that works.

thanks for all the help so far guys, ill let you know more as i find it out.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok, found a coil from pep boys for about $60, so we'll see if its the right one. the only place in grand rapids to have one in stock. now i just have to wait for my mom to get off work so she can puick it up for me.

Heres to hoping!!.:roll:

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well, the coil didnt help, so tomorrow im heading to the junk yard to get parts. thinking, ECU, fuel pressure regulator, maybe a few lamda sensors, maybe some injectors.

what do you guys think i should pick up? im leaaaaving about 9:30 EST , so give me your suggestions by then. thanks .

·
Registered
433 Posts
just thought of something, on the drivers side of the engine compartment between the outer fender and inner there is the ingnition amplifer. im not sure how to check it but that could be it. on my other car 88 900 turbo if it was running sometimes it would just die. after replacing almost everything ingition related i was standing over the left side of the car and brushed up against the wires goin to the amplifer, that was it. just needed to be cleaned and it was fine. try it, hopefully it helps. good luck

·
Registered
7,033 Posts
Are your plug wires on the cap in the right order and position?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'll check the amplifier, if i have one, do the 93's hae a crankshaft sensor, or not? and the plug wires are on teh rigth way,i replaced them one at a time.

well, getting ready toi head to the junk yard right now,

let you guys know later

·
Registered
7,033 Posts
The wrong order leads is a common mistake. Replacing them one at a time was a good idea! Have you knocked off any vac hoses along the way or bumped the hall sensor wiring on the side of the dizzy?
I've got to think that if it ran fine and now doesn't, its got to be something small rather than major component failure.

·
Registered
7,088 Posts
might be crankcase sensor, my 900 ran ok with just a "misfire" check engine light now and again so i did'nt worry then one day gone,would not run at all, tried all the things said by others(even brought a scrap 900,for all the bits,was not aware of the ccsensor,so got rid of the car then had to send away for one)changed the lot still no go, another ccsensor put in, off she went was i pleased( had also spent ££££s having things checked and not really sorted , new wiring etc,in the meantime)

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Yes, all '89 and later non-turbo cars had a crank sensor.

There are a whole bunch of ignition troubleshooting procedures for this, and other components, in the Bentley manual, section 340.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'll have to check the sensor. Man i need a bentley manual. well, car has gone all fourth of july without moving. man i would have loved to been out with the top down.

anyways, i digress. rigth now i have much love for a company thats called, i believe, euro auto parts. everyone around me wants $85+ for a fuel regulator, and they have to special order it. my dad found them online, and just ordered a regulator, shipped overnight for about $70-75.

if this doesnt fix it, i am looking at replacing the crank shaft regulator.

one thign i did find out , is man, does the 900 handle nicely. i drove my moms pt cruiser all weekend, and that thing is so sllushy, its ridiculous.

oh well, i'll still keep you guys informed, adn thanks for the help so far.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
well, got the regulator on, and that didnt solve the problem. its got spark,a dn when i just rest teh spark plug in the hole, it ignites the mix and blows the sparkplug clean out, adn there's a nice little flame ball.

we're getting a new ecu, but not sure iof that will fix it. any other suggestions would be appreciated.

thanks again

1 - 20 of 24 Posts