SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was reconnecting a subwoofer that had been installed in the back of my Saab when I accidentally shorted out the power cable to it. I didn't think it was live with the car off, but apparently that wasn't the case. Anyway, after that I go to start the car and although everything powers up in the accessory position, turn the key beyond that and it all goes dead and the car won't turn over at all. I've inspected every fuse I can find, the radio fuse looked like it had gotten hot, but not blown, and the radio powers up fine. I've disconnected the subwoofer from the battery now but I'm not sure where else to look to find the problem, any ideas?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
101 Posts
The main power wire for the Sub should be a live directly from the battery. This should be fused near the battery.

I can't see any reason why this blowing would cause you any problems with starting.

Do you still have power in you battery, it may be that you battery has gone flat, or drained enough to stop the engine turning over.

Simon
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, sub was hot wired to the battery (as I now know) - Low battery seemed unlikely, but I thought I'd better check what the voltage was reading just to be sure - and lo and behold the car starts up fine now - I'd spent about 30 minutes troubleshooting when it first happened, then ran a few errands and went to lunch before working on it for another hour to no avail. Now after nothing more than letting it sit for a few more hours, it seems to have fixed itself, how strange. Just hope it's fixed for good, I'd hate to be stranded somewhere due to some recurring electrical gremlin.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
244 Posts
Saab are vry touchie with the wiring. A fuse that that work some thing else will shut off another thing. You might try looking at all the fuses you have in the car and under the hood. It is possible that you have blown the battery. Try jumping the car. You also could have blown the altinator.
 
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Top