SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Steering has been strange lately, scary to drive on freeway, etc. - wobbly, drifting, blah, blah, blah.

Took off the front wheel to look to see if I could see anything broken, and the only thing I notice is where the tie rod ends connect to the strut assembly - is it supposed to be twisted like this??? Looks to me like the bolt snapped inside...anyone - help??

Attachments

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Never mind - I found some other pics of tie rod ends and they look the same - so I'll rotate the tires (I KNOW the tires on the rear are balanced correctly - not sure of the fronts!) and see if the wobble and oddness goes away at all...

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Mine do NOT look like that. They are straight down!! I have no idea what happened to yours!!! Anyway, I DO NOT think is normal.

PS. I see now. They are twisted at the steering rack back connection. You should be able to get these pointing straight down. There is a good amount of play on the Tie rod end, Ball joint and Front Sway bar links, I would imagine, they would be MUCH more effective, if they are properly oriented. This orientation minimizes their movement in one direction.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was looking at the pics on dip's site and they seemed to be pretty much the same as mine...well - one more thing to look at when I rip the suspension apart in the next couple of months...

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
The tie rod ends ""look"" normal - this is a ball joint.

Shimmy is caused usually by imbalance, but a "funny-feel" is not to be taken lightly - have an expert throughly check out the front end..

Grasp and twist the end, it will rotate a bit to be "level" again, but it will not necessarily stay that way.
If you are strong enough and the tire is out of the way, excessive free play can be detected ,if there is any.
Also, assure that the joint boot is not cracked and that the tie rod end threads are oiled - I think this helps when the toe-in (alignment) is adjusted..

My boots are cracked, I'll try to see if grease zerks are feasible..

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
After I rotated the tires, getting the known-to-be-balanced tires on the front, all the wobble went away and it feels 'normal' on the freeway again. Also, once the car was back down on the ground everything straightened out to near level - so not too worried now - just overreacted to crappy tire balance job (note to self: take back and get refund!)...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts