SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 93 2003, I never had a problem, but yesterday the check engine turned on and I want to know the possible causes, here in Mexico is very expensive to go with the dealer to scan the car, so I wanto to discard some possible causes. Could be hte oxygen sensor the problem? can somebody tell me where is located? Can I have a diagram? What other causes could be the problem?

·
Registered
5,873 Posts
Could be your gas cap which are known to be bad and can cause the CEL to come on.

·
Registered
12,509 Posts
If you can get a code reader. the Evaporative emissions code is P0445. The gas caps are warranted for 10 years from the in service date.

·
Registered
6,410 Posts
Go with the odds. In order of decreasing likelihood, the probable sources of a non-flashing CEL in a 2003 are:

1) Poor seal on the gas cap causing an evap code
2) Malfunctioning SAI system
3) Vacuum leak

#1 is by far the most likely.

You can easily "repair" a gas cap that is not sealing. You do this by "refreshening" the rubber sealing gasket on the backside of the cap (light green rubber). Buy some silicone grease at a hardware store. This is also known as plumber's grease or o-ring grease. Smear some grease on the rubber seal and your CEL should clear in 2-3 days. Do not use Vaseline or petroleum grease. These products will swell the rubber making the seal WORSE.

These gas caps fail as the rubber "dries out" and gets worn from repeatedly taking the cap on and off.

·
Registered
437 Posts
foxhs said:
Thanks, but how can I check if thats the problem?
Its the gas cap.

turn the car off.
remove gas cap.
return gas cap making sure it is straight and tight.

It will take 4-7 starts and a day or two for the light to turn off.

·
Registered
611 Posts
platypus said:
Its the gas cap.

turn the car off.
remove gas cap.
return gas cap making sure it is straight and tight.

It will take 4-7 starts and a day or two for the light to turn off.
Just like said before, it could be a million things, a gas cap is just the easiest place to start.

Do you have any autoparts stores that will scan the codes for you? Some places here in Canada and the States will do it for free.

·
Banned
631 Posts
have the code scanned. guys stop shooting him in the dark. Because there are many sensors on a car. Yes there are common problems but you just can "assume"

Get the code , come back to us for more help. without a code, this is useless

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for your answer, I will start to check the cap gas this afternoon, in order to know if that's my problem, I hope that can solve it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts