SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally got my ABS computer back from the reman place after a week, put it in, all happy tried to start the car, and no go.

THe first time I started it, it started, sputtered, RPM dropped to 0 and the engine died.
Tried again, died and I smelled a vague burnt smell.

After that, when I crank it, it doesn't sound like its even turning over, and I just hear something that sounds almost like a power drill (which i guess is the starter?)

I'm going to go check for stuck pulleys and stuff, but other than that I don't know where to go from here.

I need all the advice I can get on likely culprits, things to test, etc.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just had to crank it a few times. I guess it had to pump fuel through the lines. Also I retightened my DIC cuz somehow the bolts came loose to the point where I could turn them by hand.

the burnt smell was just the exhaust from a cold start most liekly

·
Registered
12,355 Posts
Ok, glad you got it going. I use a little blue Loctite to keep those bolts snug. When my son first got the car, I found the missing bolt rolling around down on the lower shields. Blue Loctite eversince... Ron

·
Registered
666 Posts
Ok, glad you got it going. I use a little blue Loctite to keep those bolts snug. When my son first got the car, I found the missing bolt rolling around down on the lower shields. Blue Loctite eversince... Ron
I just leave all of the tools left over from my last job in the "toolholder" to hold the DIC down. It seems like an 8" extension, snakelight, a few metric sockets and half an empty bottle of beer is about the right weight. I think the cannon plug on the end also keeps just the right amount of tension on it it too.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
my DIC was replaced a year ago by the dealership, i'm surprised they didnt have the sense to do that...

I just leave all of the tools left over from my last job in the "toolholder" to hold the DIC down. It seems like an 8" extension, snakelight, a few metric sockets and half an empty bottle of beer is about the right weight. I think the cannon plug on the end also keeps just the right amount of tension on it it too.
lol!

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
my DIC was replaced a year ago by the dealership, i'm surprised they didnt have the sense to do that...

lol!
Good/experienced mechanics will do these "little" things. The WIS is but a guide, not written by the ACEs.
And a sense of humor, priceless...:cheesy:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts