SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK... driving.. out of nowhere lost power in my brakes...
no brake light....
pedal is like a rock... if i push really hard it will slow the car down...

found this:

I assume thats the culprit... the nipple is broken off the check valve... it goes from the master cylinder to... ummmm... the block it looks like...

can't find a part number or how to get one...
checked the diagram on eeuroparts... ummm... there is a picture of it.... and its "#3" but there is no "#3" listed for me to purchase... :(

HELP!

·
Registered
211 Posts
that line goes from the intake manifold (Vacuum source) to the brake booster. The engine vacuum actuates a diaphragm inside the booster to provide braking assist ("power brakes")

looks like you should be able to just replace the check valve and plug everything back in!

you'll have a pretty nasty vacuum leak since your intake manifold is sucking air through that line now...so I wouldn't be surprised if it runs crappy

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
1 thanks for the help...
2 it really doesn't run too bad.... lol
3 Sorry... no clue how I posted it in this section...lol I clicked on ng900/9-3 workshop...lol

any check valve will work?
or
do I have to find some ridiculous saab only check valve...lol

·
Registered
211 Posts
I took a quick look for the saab check valve, and didn't find much. it looks like you'd have to buy the entire rubber hose & check valve assembly...

Take that valve into any auto parts store and they should be able to find one with the same size inlet & outlet. Just make sure you install it in the correct direction. The valve should close when the intake manifold becomes pressurized (under boost). They usually have an arrow on them to indicate which direction the valve allows flow, and you can check it by blowing into it.

good luck!

edit: there is usually an assortment of check valves by the fuel filters (at least that's how it is @ my local autozone). A PCV valve would work fine

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok... well went out to "unplug" that check valve.... and those aren't rubber hoses its attached to.. they are rigid plastic... and "formed" to the check valve stem.. had to cut a slit in the hose to get the valve out.....

·
Registered
211 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hmm.... looks like you should probably just do the whole line then

here's a page that shows the different part #s depending on year/model.

http://www.thesaabsite.com/93/93ABSBrakes.htm

You've got a 2000 Viggen? Looks like you need #5082425 (which unfortunately is backordered from thesaabsite). I'd just google search it, or call your local dealer.

edit: here's one for $35

http://www.saabpartscheap.com/OEMParts/saab-149/5/5082425.html
super helpful.... i appreciate it... I'm going to try to "patch" in a check valve while that one is on its way to me...lol

1 - 8 of 8 Posts