SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
During the process of removing my GT15 turbo from the exhaust manifold, I broke the circular turbo housing. Now you wouldn't know what I'm talking about unless you've had one of these bad boy's in your hands.

Basically, anyone out there have a broken useless GT15 turbo as I only need one of the body. I plan to rebuild the rest with a rebuild kit from e-bay. I removed the unit due to bad oil leak coming from inlet housing right where the down tube attaches to the body.

While trying to take the unit apart after removing it from the car, I broke the large circular housing with a rubber malet. Banging way to much on that bad Boy, I guess.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Are you saying you smashed the cold-side compressor housing! :eek: Geez you must have really Hulked out to do that, esp. using a rubber mallet! Might want to consider posting in the Marketplace forums. ;)

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Turbo tears

Thanks for the reply and I took care of the 'Wanted add' in the market place.

I guess I was looking for a little feedback as well.

I wonder if I could weld that piece? Looks like aluminum.

Car is down hard in the garage and bummin.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Hmmmm. I was going to dissuade you from the welding idea, until I found this. The compressor housing looks like cast aluminum; but the center section looks like it was milled from a solid billet. Post a few pics to show us what not to do! :nono;

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Found a real good resource is Ericksson Industries in Old Saybrook, CT.

They has an old cold side flang sitting around the shop and its in the mail for 50.00 ducks. That cost could have really hurt price wise. Rebuilt units are around 500.00 ducks.

After I take the unit apart I'll be able to see if I need the bigger rebuild kit or settle for the smaller one of the two.

Interesting speaking with Ericksson's as they noted if the turbo leaks badly as mine eas, it was probably due to clogged crank case ventilation causing back pressure in the turbo and hence the oil leak passing by the inner turbo rings. Oil typically doesn't leak from the cold/inlet side.

The common fault is when they leak into the exhaust side and cause vehicle exhaust smoke. I guess I learned a lot on this project.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts