SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was doing the front brakes on the car, and when i tried to push the piston back into the caliper it wouldnt move, even with a C clamp the piston would not budge. I had the cap off the brake fluid resevoir, an when i got desperate i even disconnect the brake line, and dtill the piston wouldnt move and it looked as if it still had about 1.5" to go, b4 the new pads would fit. on a 1999 saab 9-3 the front pistons are pushed in correct, and not screwed in?

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
The piston is either c o c k e d or frozen in place. To prevent "****iness", I use an old pad to push against..

I have always used a lever and slowly/carefully pushed - success 99.9% of the time.
On one Volkswagen we had to use a 6 foot long lever and all of my strength! This did work, but for how long I will never know.
I have encountered some that moved back so easily I just used my hands alone.
Sometimes it may be easier if the bleeder is opened and they should be cracked open every 2 to 3 years anyway...

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
phish86c said:
...it looked as if it still had about 1.5" to go, b4 the new pads would fit...
Does not seem right, or is this a typo? The piston does not have that much travel, the rotor is only about one inch wide. If it overextended when the old pads were taken out, it could be stuck as earthworm said. In that case, and besides opening the bleed screw, you may be able to rotate it back and forth a franction of an inch, not more than that, and get it loose that way. Then push it back in.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts