SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
HELP:Any voltage pts, that I can take a low voltage supply from?

Hi all :cheesy:,

I want to install a parking sensor and it requires a 12v 500mA supply . Im intending to take the power lead from the radio and pass it thru a 12v Regulator to the parking sensor unit.:eek:

I would like to know, is there any other voltage points that I can take low voltage instead.:roll:

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
Welcome to Saab central.
I hard wired my radar detector and fished the wire through the rear-view mirror hole in the headliner, nice clean install if I do say, Anywho I picked up power for the detector (wich hardly draws anything) from the dash lighting circuit, wich is hot when the ign. switch is in the run position.

·
Registered
181 Posts
You won't need a regulator but 500mA is nothing so anywhere convenient that you can find battery voltage with the ignition on will be fine. The radio supply is as good as anywhere.

·
Registered
4,050 Posts
Laymans version of Ohms law

:lol: Just for clarity ,

You are not looking for a low voltage supply , you are looking for low amperage , that is to power an applianvnce that only draws .5 of amp .

Not trying to be pedantic , just trying to help your understanding .

In theory YOU could run a cable of any gauge ( huge amp capacity ) your appliance will still only draw the amperage you require .

Think of it this way

Voltage = a Quality

Amperage = a Quantity .

EG . your starter may draw say .. 10 amps ? its still 12v , its a heavy cable to allow the QUANTITY

your radio , may draw .2 amps , but small quantity , small cable . Its still 12v tho ...

SO .. in essence any live supply that is controlled from the ignition switch , BUT yeah ... radio or dash lights are both good , the light on the ashtray is one of the easiest points you will find :lol:

·
Registered
392 Posts
My highschool drafting teacher explained it like this. "voltage is the size of your army and Amperage is how fast they are runnint" Thanks for bringing this up though as I was thinking of wireing my radar detecter in a similar manner.

·
Registered
13,273 Posts
AUSSIE900 said:
BUT yeah ... radio or dash lights are both good , the light on the ashtray is one of the easiest points you will find
The ashtray light voltage can be reduced by the rheostat. Use the lighter feed for a switched source in that area.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts