SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any good tricks at removing the O2 sensor aft of the Cat?

I would really like to pull the thing without having to pull that entire section of exhaust section out including the cat, but there's hardly any room to manuever.

Anybody know of any good tools, specialty or otherwise?

Thanks....

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Rotate....

Yeah... I already know about that special socket. I guess what I'm trying to say is I think the sensor is so "welded in" from all the miles (107,000) and years, It's a 1998 900se turbo, I'm just wondering if anybody had any tricks to getting the thing unseized.

This is a relatively simple project that has gotten way out of hand because of seized threads. I hate to take out the elephant gun, but I think I'm going to have to drop the entire exhaust just to get to this one sensor.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
You'll need to heat the thread really hot. I'm talking at least cherry red. You can do this with propane torch but it will take while and if you're doing this under the car while the vehicle has been jacked up then it will be both frustrating and dangerous. You can get oxygen/mapp torch from your local hardware store (about $60) and it produces very hot flame which will have the thread glowing orange in under a minute and it's difficult to burn a hole through unlike oxyacetyline torch.

Other than heat and a good amount of torque there's nothing else you can do to hasten the removal.

Don't even bother using an open wrench for this job. You'll just strip the sensor.

Good luck.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts