SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read through alot of the posts already made trying to make sense of them but it just seems to get more confusing.

Would i be able to install a pioneer headunit into my saab 9-3 2006?
I already have this headunit http://www.pioneer.co.uk/uk/products/25/121/61/FH-P80BT/index.html from my previous car but i dont want to order iso harnesses and steering wheel control adaptors etc... to find out i cant fit it into my saab.

Also if i can i am confused as into what cables i will need etc... the saab headunit i have atm has these connections http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2151/1861748298_54b3d02a5f.jpg

if anyone could advise as to where to go with this it would be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
If the headunit you have in the car at the moment has the connections you pictured, then you must have an early 2007 model with the facelifted dash (chrome edging to dash, GM double din headunit)

This make s it an easy job to change headunits, my thread My 2007 Sportwagon Aftermarket Audio Install along with quite a few others should answer your questions :
Another Kenwood TV into a 2007 9-3 SS
07' Alpine Double Din and Amp Install
AVIC 900BT in 2007 SC with SW functions working
ANOTHER KENWOOD MAKEOVER w/SWC
and more

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the help. can go ahead and install my head unit now, to get my subs on the go.

1 more question though can you still use your steering wheel controls?

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
Thanks for the help. can go ahead and install my head unit now, to get my subs on the go.

1 more question though can you still use your steering wheel controls?
Me personally, I don't have the steering wheel controls enabled, there wasn't an adapter on the market when I did mine, a couple of people now have steering wheel controls working, but the adapters are headunit manufacturer specific as well as car specific so you'll need to look at Pioneer to see if they do an adapter.

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
why did you need connection to ignition switched power and a connection to the handbrake light?
The switched power gives power to the headunit, Permenant power on the headunit is used for memory functions.

Connection to handbrake is a safety feature that only allows dvd to be shown on my headunits screen when the car is parked, not when the driver is driving and can be distracted, legal requirement.
Not an issue with the headunit you want to fit.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
could you post a link as to which wiring harness i need please from that audio images website if you dont mind. just there is a few and i dont want to order the wrong one.
cheers

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
I bought a Phonocar 4/741 Saab-ISO lead from a european website as the lead was not available in the UK when I bought my stuff, most of the rest of my bits came from Audio Images.

The phonocar lead appears still not to be available in the UK, but there are UK equivelants available, I have a search round when I have time, see what I can dig up.

EDIT: there are 2 versions of this lead, 1 is same as I bought, which connects the aftermarket headunits speaker outputs to the Saab amp and speakers.
the other version connects the aftermarket headunits pre-outs to the Saab amp and speakers.

Both versions will work, some people have found some interference/noise present when connecting speaker outputs to the Saab amp and speakers so have used the version that connects to the preouts of the aftermarket headunit.

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts