SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I've been looking intently at a particular Saab 900 S for sale in my neighborhood and was wondering if anyone could let me know if the price is fair, what to look for, etc.

Here's the details:
1992 900 S
Asking price: $1995 (sticker says $2995 though, so I think they dropped the price)
Mileage: 127,000
Ext- Green, Int- Tan Leather(?)
Automatic tranny (sorta dissapointing, but I could manage)

The car is really clean, no dings, scratches, rust... tires look good, no fading paint or plastic anywhere, interior is immacualte as well.

Is it worth the price do you think? What should I be looking for when test-driving and inspecting? Like I said I'm a Saab noo-bee so my experience is limited... can I get a better deal somewhere else?

Thanks for looking, and I appreciate any responses or help.

-Rob

Attachments

·
Banned
213 Posts
when you test drive it check for vibrations at the front of the car, check the brake wear - the brakes on my 900 didn't squeal when they wore down, consequently forcing me to replace both pads and rotors as the bare metal did a job on my rotors. finally i would check the check the exaust, my car did have some rust on th body but the exaust pipe right off the headers was so badly rusted that it broke off on the highway one day (sounded like a WW2 fighter plane - that was cool for like 5 minutes). thats all i can think of at the moment, everything else you have described sounds good, as it should for the price you are paying. http://www.kbb.com is not working at the moment, but from what i can tell it looks like you're getting a pretty good deal. a test drive will definatly give you plenty of feedback too, make sure to take it out on the highway to get a good feeling for the suspension and the acceleration!

i love my 900, and i think you will too - repairs are expensive, and can be frequent at the 150k mark, but in the end you have a sweet and uniqe looking car that has some balls under the hood.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Check the a/c hoses for leaks indicated by an oily residue near the connections. I bought mine used and the a/c was ice cold only to find I have bad o-rings. The compressor takes R-12 refrigerant which is hard to find without an HVAC license. If you can afford it, I would recommend a computer diagnostic to check all the electrical gizmos so there are no surprises if something is about to go. Good Luck!!!

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
PHAT_joe said:
make sure to take it out on the highway to get a good feeling for the suspension and the acceleration!

i love my 900, and i think you will too - repairs are expensive, and can be frequent at the 150k mark, but in the end you have a sweet and uniqe looking car that has some balls under the hood.
Welcome, and perhaps take the above (and hence my!) comments subjectively! Don't get me wrong that looks like a nice car, nice colour/spec and fair sounding price etc but a 5 door auto has 3 speeds slow, slower and slowest. A 5 speed manual (stick) will help row her along at a decent lick, but the old slush box is never going to do it. And yes I've had one. And a 4 speed non-turbo, and several turbo 5 speeders.... no prizes for guessing which one I prefer!

If 55-65 is your normal top speed then you maybe ok, anything above that and it's hard work and uncomfortable (noisy), as our motorways have a limit of 70 mph, trying to keep up with traffic in that car was a form of torture....:roll:

But hey, horses for courses etc go give it a try! But if you don't like it please find a manual to try, they are very different!

Good luck!

P.S. My auto drank fuel in comaprison to the others too.....

Edit: OOH! It's a four door, not a five! Nice, pretty rare too....still a shame about the tranny!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Find an Independent Saab Mechanic & NESAAB

Find a good independent Saab mechanic/shop and have them evaluate the car, it is usually not that expensive. This does two things, one you get someone to look at the car and it gives you something with negotiate with the dealer. If you work with the shop, they can outline a plan of items that need to be fixed today and things to watch for.

Second there is a Saab club in New England (NESAAB) that is a good resource for information. One of the upcoming events is the Saab Owners Convention (SOC) 2005 in NE this year.

Last, it is possible to swap an automatic to a manual, but does require space, time, tools, donor transmission, and at least advanced beginner understanding of car repair.

·
Banned
637 Posts
Firstly it IS an old car with by normal Human standards Hi Mileage. Autox is slower than the 5 spd.. but in my experiences not that much.. the 5 spd isn't very sporty Either:) Auto does use a bit more Fuel.. but Saabs are generally thirsty compared to most other cars. Yes you can drive all day at 70 mph.. and actually at Hiway speed the Auto comes into it's own.. as it's doing apprx 3500rpms the power is right on tap.. passing at those speeds is effortless, despite no turbo and no 5 spd :)
Saabs are seductive cuz they invariably appear as Pristine Condition cars.. as one would imagine from the New price... But Mech problems have emptied more than a few wallets.. and as everyone on the Planet has heard a Version of the "Saab Story".. resale prices are right in there with Yugos.
Still, if yer a Gambler a Lovely car.

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
Compare the price to cars available on the classifieds here on SC (see the tab above) and the classifieds here.These values should help you to benchmark the market.

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
I tried to PM you this, but it wouldn't let me, bah. Anyway depending on where in NH you are I would be glad to meet up with you there and test drive it with you, it's hard to know what you're feeling for if you've never felt it. Home is Brookline, work is Salem, anything between or slightly north/west is fair game. Drop me a line if you'd like, [email protected] .

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
i like the sounds of it. check the underbody for rust! CHECK IT WELL ! and the engine bay, check in the trunk floor compartment, check under teh back seat. if you can lift up the carpet (if you want more explanation i can tell you how). this seems a bit much but in my experince these cars hide rust in some nasty little spots, bottoms of the doors too. after that check the slush box really well, as this means nothing (they often fail without warning) it is better than nothing. everything else is just common sense. yeah if a/c hoses are leaking and it is r12 expect a conversion with a new dryer and labour. i just replaced the main hoses unit and had it PROPERLY converted and with huge deals it was $430 (CND), $over $1,100 at teh dealer to have it done, hoses alone are like $340 dealer. check teh headliner, if it has some little sag spots it is going to fall down in a few months to a year (expect to reaplce it if it bother you. check the corners of the dah for cracks, lift up and floor mats and check for water (take up carpets is better). check the cruise control, make sure the odometer works, check the heated seats. take her for a long test drive (as long as they let you) and make sure the cooling system keeps the needle below 2/3 and the fans click on and such when they should. check the power windows if they are slow that is ok, but any clunk of squeel expect some problems. check the defrosters, heater ect. the engines if sound fine and don't appear to leak or rattle and a very safe bet (never has any issues for me). you will love saabs, and it is ok to pass this one up and to be more picky, it looks good and is the right price but if your not in a rust i don't think this one is going to be going anywhere anytime soon. you can keep asking us on other ones if you wish, take the time if you can, i made this mistake before:confused: . welcome to SC. take soem pics of her and post them up ok;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts