SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, yesterday the drivers side window decided it would not go up. It goes down (currently stuck at half up). It does not make any noises. Just nothing when I try the button to get it to go up. I took out the switch 'box' thingy - not sure the technical name. I dont know how to get it apart though to see if the contacts are gunky or not. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Kate

·
Premium Member
31,228 Posts
Hi, yesterday the drivers side window decided it would not go up. It goes down (currently stuck at half up). It does not make any noises. Just nothing when I try the button to get it to go up. I took out the switch 'box' thingy - not sure the technical name. I dont know how to get it apart though to see if the contacts are gunky or not. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Kate
Could be a contact issue with just the driver's switch (?) I don't think it's difficult to take the switch pack apart, but fixing the switch itself (if that is the culprit) I know nothing about ;oops: other than possibly cleaning the contacts with a Q-tip and some cleaning alcohol.

I'm sure others here will jump in with their wisdom.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Could be a contact issue with just the driver's switch (?) I don't think it's difficult to take the switch pack apart, but fixing the switch itself (if that is the culprit) I know nothing about ;oops: other than possibly cleaning the contacts with a Q-tip and some cleaning alcohol.

I'm sure others here will jump in with their wisdom.
Thanks that was my intention - to clean the contacts;b but I dont know how to open the pack. It seems done up really tight and I didnt know how much to force it. There is a white plastic screw recessed in the bottom and lots of little clippy type things along the edges. Obviously the screw is not hard to undo but am not sure about the rest of it.
I can try to post photo of the pack if that helps.

Attachments

·
Registered
10,061 Posts
I actually took my window switch pack apart tonight because the switches were sticking in the cold. I'm sure it was due to pop getting spilled on them one too many times. It's pretty easy to take it apart because it comes apart in three layers. The first thing to do is to take out the bulb, which is the "white plastic screw" you mentioned. Give it a quarter turn with a small flat-bladed screwdriver and shake it out. Next, if you look at the side of the switch pack, you'll see that the clips are on three levels. Starting with the clips closest to the bottom, pop off the bottom of the switch pack. That will expose the bottom of the circuit board. There's not much to see except for two coils and some resistors. Next, you'll release the clips for the circuit board. Be a little more careful with this, because underneath the circuit board are a bunch of little contact rockers. These are probably your issue. Each rocker has a pair of round silver contacts that make contact with another pair of silver contacts on the board. Clean everything with Q-Tips and alcohol, and then polish up the contacts with a pencil eraser. Mine were dirty, and the driver's side window contacts were slightly burnt. If you really want to clean things up, the final row of clips that you can see on the side of the switch pack will release a plastic panel that covers up the plastic switches themselves. Once that's off, you can unclip the switches and really clean them up. Mine had pop in the pivots, so they didn't move very freely.

·
Premium Member
31,228 Posts
I actually took my window switch pack apart tonight because the switches were sticking in the cold. I'm sure it was due to pop getting spilled on them one too many times. It's pretty easy to take it apart because it comes apart in three layers. The first thing to do is to take out the bulb, which is the "white plastic screw" you mentioned. Give it a quarter turn with a small flat-bladed screwdriver and shake it out. Next, if you look at the side of the switch pack, you'll see that the clips are on three levels. Starting with the clips closest to the bottom, pop off the bottom of the switch pack. That will expose the bottom of the circuit board. There's not much to see except for two coils and some resistors. Next, you'll release the clips for the circuit board. Be a little more careful with this, because underneath the circuit board are a bunch of little contact rockers. These are probably your issue. Each rocker has a pair of round silver contacts that make contact with another pair of silver contacts on the board. Clean everything with Q-Tips and alcohol, and then polish up the contacts with a pencil eraser. Mine were dirty, and the driver's side window contacts were slightly burnt. If you really want to clean things up, the final row of clips that you can see on the side of the switch pack will release a plastic panel that covers up the plastic switches themselves. Once that's off, you can unclip the switches and really clean them up. Mine had pop in the pivots, so they didn't move very freely.
Wrecking yards often have NG900's in stock. Can't say if those window switchpacks are functional (esp. in wetter cities) but they prolly go for a song, so wouldn't be a bad idea to fine one (or two) as backups.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks JeremyR

I took the switch pack apart and cleaned everything with electrical contact cleaner (it was pretty gunky), put it together wrong (2 rockers the wrong way up oops) blew a fuse. Tried again (rockers reconfigured and a new fuse) and it worked!
Thanks for the encouragement to try.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts