SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope I am posting this properly? Sorry if it is not.
I own and LOVE my 2003 95 arc turbo. it has 150000 and is still going strong.....until the fuel pump quit working on me. I brought my baby to my guy who I do trust (instead of buying the 400.00 pump he let my the ac/delco one for 150.00!)
He has installed it and it will run for a few minutes and then quiets working. He sates that he has to reset the pump and replace the fuse. Any help would be wonderful :D
Also what is a ECU and how much does that cost to replace and could that be a cause of the fuel pump?

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
1) WELCOME TO THE FORUM! 2) Is you guy a Saab guy? 3) Did he say reset or re-seat the FP? What did he say about the ECU? Which is located behind the glove box. Why do you think it needs to be replaced?

The ECU controls the air/fuel mixture through all demands on the engine. There are too many slight variations in the air/fuel mixture to count that have to change to keep the optimal performance. A carburetor cannot do that. The ECU uses sensors to determine what demand is on the engine. They are, throttle position, engine load (MAP or MAF), coolant temp. intake air temp, barometric pressure, and for fine tuning, oxygen sensors. With all this information, the ECU knows how long to open the fuel injectors for.

·
Registered
323 Posts
So you're trusty mechanic replaced OEM with some AC Delco pump to try and save you some cash and now there are electrical(I think just fuel supply) issues? Don't you think the first step would be trying the proper part to see if it solves your problems?

It's understandable that you don't want to buy a $400 pump; I wouldn't either. So do this: http://www.newsemantics.com/saab/

You can buy a Walbro pump for less than you paid for the AC Delco thing and repair your existing unit. I highly doubt that you need a new ECU. Good luck.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you but as sad as this sounds all I have just over four to fix this :( but thank you for the info it was very helpful.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
to jssaab and 95er thank you as well, my guy is a Saab guy and thrown by this. I was asking about the ECU because for the last few weeks it would start but it took a few seconds longer, and when I would head down the road after a cold start it would stumble and almost stall but in 3 seconds it would catch itself and start picking up speed again. But when it would do this it would throw the check engine light on, but then it would go off two or three miles down the road. So I am wondering if it is possible that I have a bad component as well as a bad fuel pump but the car is not throwing codes. if it would run long enough they might be able to get a code but as you. read it will not run longer than a few minutes before it pops fuses.

I knew it was the fuel pump because when the car died I was driving down the highway. When I pulled to the side I turned of radio, a/c and tried to restart. It had full power (not battery) and it was cranking over (so not the starter) and on the second attempt I did not hear the (this will sound silly) click, click and hum of the pump and I had 3/4 tank of fuel.

·
Registered
323 Posts
So I am wondering if it is possible that I have a bad component as well as a bad fuel pump but the car is not throwing codes. if it would run long enough they might be able to get a code but as you. read it will not run longer than a few minutes before it pops fuses.
So after the fuel pump replacement, you developed an electrical issue where the car keeps blowing a fuse (Which fuse, btw?). It seems like a no-brainer to me that the non-OEM pump would be the culprit. Have I understood you correctly?

I did not hear the (this will sound silly) click, click and hum of the pump and I had 3/4 tank of fuel.
Doesn't sound silly at all. Not hearing the fuel pump pressurize at start-up is the common indication that the pump has gone.

As for your stumble... codes would helps since the CEL goes on. Good luck.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts