SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Blue 1999 9-5 just stopped. Drove it to the park played some B-ball got back in and it wouldn't start. Here are the symptoms and what I have checked so far.
Checked the battery and it is good. It is not that old and I tried jumping it to see if a little extra juice might get it going. NOOP!
Car will turn over but will not start. I don't believe it is the DIC because I just recently replaced that and when those go bad they usually wont turn over.
I checked for error codes but there are none.
I checked to see if the throttle body was in limp home mode but it was not. So of all the things I have experienced with this car and my other two here is what it could be. Is there any way to figure it out for sure?
1) Could be fuel pump? Although pump sounds like it is running.
2) Could be throttle body?
3) Could be MAF?
4) Could be crank positions sensor?
5) Could it be O2 sensor?

Another clue may be that it has been getting progressively worse gas mileage over the last few months?

Any help anyone can provide will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
161 Posts
My Blue 1999 9-5 just stopped. Drove it to the park played some B-ball got back in and it wouldn't start. Here are the symptoms and what I have checked so far.
Checked the battery and it is good. It is not that old and I tried jumping it to see if a little extra juice might get it going. NOOP!
Car will turn over but will not start. I don't believe it is the DIC because I just recently replaced that and when those go bad they usually wont turn over.
I checked for error codes but there are none.
I checked to see if the throttle body was in limp home mode but it was not. So of all the things I have experienced with this car and my other two here is what it could be. Is there any way to figure it out for sure?
1) Could be fuel pump? Although pump sounds like it is running.
2) Could be throttle body?
3) Could be MAF?
4) Could be crank positions sensor?
5) Could it be O2 sensor?

Another clue may be that it has been getting progressively worse gas mileage over the last few months?

Any help anyone can provide will be greatly appreciated.
Catalytic converter. If is worst now with the gas mileage it could be the catalytic.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I would think that you would throw code P0420 if the cat was clogged...

I would guess that your CPS is going...But then again, that should throw a code also. Although when mine was going, it never threw a code, but my issues were fixed once I replaced it.

Did it end up starting?

Good Luck

·
Registered
165 Posts
Hmm.. if you turn the ignition to ON and OFF a couple of times..will it start and run for some seconds then? if so, i bet your fuel pump is ready to be replaced. Your fuel pump can "buzz/run" and sound ok on startup, but if its broken it will not deliver fuel to the engine.
My friends 9-5 had the same problem as you have. He could hear the fuel pump on startup, but it wouldn`t start or run. Changed the fuel pump and problem solved!

Good luck!:)

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Hey Al!

Welcome back! No posts in two months had me worried.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Al
It would not start after sitting overnight but I tried putting a known working Crank position sensor in tonight and sure enough it didn't work. So tomorrow I am going to check out the fuel pump. Is there any possibility of it being the fuel pump relay switch? How can I tell? If it can't be that I believe I will have to replace the pump. I have read the specks on the Bosch replacement for this car and it sounds really good. Any suggestions? I will only be replacing the actual electric pump core because the whole unit is way too expensive. I have actually done it once before on a 9K I used to have and it wasn't hard to do at all. I know in the 9K you could jump the fuse to another hot fuse and make the pump run can that be done to the 9-5?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
If you can hear the pump humming at start, the relay is fine and you are getting power to the pump. If you heard nothing at all, then i would start with the fuses and relays. A good way to start narrowing this down is checking your fuel pressure at the rail. Although it does sound like a pump problem, I find that throwing parts at your car in the dark is a good way of spending a lot of money. If pressure is low, then you know its fuel system related and go from there.

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
Thanks Al
It would not start after sitting overnight but I tried putting a known working Crank position sensor in tonight and sure enough it didn't work. So tomorrow I am going to check out the fuel pump. Is there any possibility of it being the fuel pump relay switch? How can I tell? If it can't be that I believe I will have to replace the pump. I have read the specks on the Bosch replacement for this car and it sounds really good. Any suggestions? I will only be replacing the actual electric pump core because the whole unit is way too expensive. I have actually done it once before on a 9K I used to have and it wasn't hard to do at all. I know in the 9K you could jump the fuse to another hot fuse and make the pump run can that be done to the 9-5?

Thanks
Here's my experience with the fuel pump:
Fuel pump support needed...

I haven't heard of the fuel pump relay ever being an issue for the 9-5. but I guess there is a first for everything...

Looks like a malfunctioning relay would throw a code...then again a bad CPS is supposed to as well...:evil:

Usually a fuel pump has symptoms of hard starts when cold for a while before it finally gives up the ghost.

FYI - the CPS usually manifests itself as a heat related issue, failing when hot and often operational when it has cooled.

·
Registered
483 Posts
When my 1995 900 died, it was the fuel pump. You can test it by running wires from the pump itself to the fuse box with the key on and see if it starts to hum or not.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Same problem with my car, starts in the morning & has left me stranded twice during the heat of the day. It has happened twice in the last two weeks.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Mystery solved.......drum roll please. It was the fuel pump. I put a new pump in and all is wonderful now. Thanks for all the advice! That is the frustrating thing about the SAAB error code system it doesn't always give you the answer. :D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts