SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Let me start by saying that I am a first-time poster, long time Saab Central fanatic and more importantly a loyal Saab owner. I've spent all day and night researching other posts, yet I am still puzzled: (BTW I have a 2005 9-3 Arc... (3rd Saab owned)

(I am trying to keep it short and sweet...)

So I bolted out to my car in fear of being late to work (issues only occur at inconvenient times eh...?) and I insert the key into the ignition, turn, and get a repetitive "click, click, click, click, click". Panel and lights come on perfectly fine. Stunned, I quickly assume its the battery and have a neighbor help me jump it. If it matters, I don't feel that we spent enough time trying to jump it since I was late for work. After trying, still had the same "click, click, click" sound.

Even though I assumed the alternator or starter, I researched these forums all day at work and found things about disconnecting the (-) battery for up to 10 minutes, resetting the battery disconnect switch, examining fuses, etc...

After returning from work I tried again, but this time no "click, click" and the lights/electronics were very dim. I examined my battery and found that I do not have a battery disconnect switch... Is this normal...? I disconnected the (-) wire for 5 or so minutes, re-connected it, tried again, but no electronics light up now except for the battery light. And now my key is stuck in the ignition... I locked the doors manually and came in to write this post in looks for saviors... Any ideas?

EDIT: I felt compelled to add that I have not had to change the battery since I've owned it, and I have not yet replaced the spark plugs (is this difficult for a pretty knowledgeable DIY guy..?) I got her with 60,000 miles and she currently has 101,000 miles. Also, the night before this occurred I changed out the high-beams but I do not see this affecting it (installed silverstars but I can't imagine they would cause this)

·
Super Moderator
10,273 Posts
Welcome to SC..

your battery is shot,the rapid clicking you here is the solenoid on the starter trying to engage,but can't because there is not enough power in the battery..
if the battery has failed spectacularly jumping it will have no effect..

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Yep, battery is gone, time to get a new one.
Had exactly the same experience a few times, twice on my Saabs, twice on my Toyota SUV, the multi click sound...
Batteries are a consumption article, while there are ways to temporary revive them, a car needed for reliability is worthy of a new one, especially if you use it for the commute to work. You should be happy you got that much life of your battery...
Battery disconnect switch, well I have them in my 9-3s, but they are controlled by the crash sensors, according to the user manual. Looks i little different from 2006 and 2008 but this is the part number 12791308. It is resettable in case of false trigger, yellow button.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you both for your insight. I have two follow up questions:

1) Is it strange that there is no disconnect switch on the battery at all..? (And is it an issue?)

2) This may be foolish but what size battery am I looking for. Due to work I have limited time to try and take it to a store...

Thank you again!

·
Super Moderator
10,273 Posts
Thank you both for your insight. I have two follow up questions:

1) Is it strange that there is no disconnect switch on the battery at all..? (And is it an issue?)some people do remove it.it's an impact switch it kills the power to the front of the car in a frontal impact collision..

2) This may be foolish but what size battery am I looking for. Due to work I have limited time to try and take it to a store...

Thank you again!
1..some people do remove it.it's an impact switch it kills the power to the front of the car in a frontal impact collision..

2..can't help there wrong side of the pond,you guys have groups for your batteries,different way this side of the pond..i've just got a 74Ah 680 CCA..

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I just picked up a Bosch battery at Pepboys, however I have one final question... I read on another post to never change the battery while the key is in the ignition. My issue is that when the battery completely died the key was in the ignition, and now I can not seem to get it out. I don't want to force it and harm the programming. Is it okay to replace the battery while the key is in the "OFF" position? I know that when you first insert the key it unlocks the steering wheel etc.. I just don't want to cause her any more harm than I need to...

·
Super Moderator
10,273 Posts
if you've not done this yet,use jump leads from the new battery to the old,to provide power so you can release the key,once done change battery over..

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
24 months ago I got a new Bosch silver battery for my 2006 9-3 Aero. While almost double the price compared to the cheapest alternative, it lasted no longer than 18 months. I replaced it with a 90 usd Hankook battery, which works just as well...
A new battery makes the car feel much better and more reliable, enjoy!
Afaik, all newer Saabs are fitted with a crash activated battery disconnect switch, however, it can fail and is expensive to replace. Possibility is that previous owner got rid of it.
I don't think the key fob stuck in the switch is a problem, why would jumping the battery to the car be any different from actually put the battery in the compartment and connect the cables?
Now you will have to check the auto windows...
Good Luck!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well I dropped in the new battery and she started without a glitch! The Bosch was a bigger battery than the stock, the electronics do not dim when putting up the windows and seem brighter which is nice.(PS- the Bosch came with a 36-month full replacement warranty, so for only $109 I figured it was a safe bet).

aerojon, I went at it without checking your response however it did occur to me just after I disconnected the old battery. and fyi- even with the key in the OFF position there was quite a spark when attaching the (-)... Luckily no side effects from it.

Thanks for everyones help!

·
Registered
22 Posts
all i get is a click click click

I have this same problem, I had to jump start my car this last winter and from then on I would have to jump my car to get it to start. It seems like I have a draw but from what I read it could possibly be the battery. I replaced the battery a year ago almost to the day. could jumping my car of fried any relays? any help would be awesome thank you

·
Registered
9 Posts
Help

1 Minute Ago01rob10
Hi every body Iv just got my saab 9-3 convertible back from garage replacing battery and throttle body has been starting up fine until I took roof down I turned of car and then went to start and jus click no start got a jump started up engine light on so stuck in limp mode again car was starting stopping fine within 36 hrs till I took roof down can some or help me please thanks
Edit Report

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey- I’m sorry to just on your post but it’s the ONLY way I can post ANYTHING! I just got my Saab last week, found this group today & can’t make a post about an issue I’m having. Again, I’m sorry to “hi-jack” your post but can SOMEBODY please tell me where I go to create a post? Thanx to all! ?

·
Premium Member
20,436 Posts
Hey- I’m sorry to just on your post but it’s the ONLY way I can post ANYTHING! I just got my Saab last week, found this group today & can’t make a post about an issue I’m having. Again, I’m sorry to “hi-jack” your post but can SOMEBODY please tell me where I go to create a post? Thanx to all! ?
Just post here. Describe your issue.

Details good.

"It won't start" <-- bad.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.