SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about at wit's end, so maybe one of you kind souls can keep me sane.

Car 2006 9-5 2.3T, 100k.

Symptoms:

Car would not achieve or maintain proper running temperature. "Check Engine Light" came on and returned code p0116.

Scanner also revealed codes p1312 and p1340, indicating a possible failure of the DIC.

Remedy:

Mechanic replaced thermostat and sensor.

Mechanic swapped DIC with a used OE unit. There were no misfires reported by the Tech scanner after installation of replacement DIC.

He also replaced the spark plugs (OE), and installed a new battery at time of service, but this was unrelated.

Results:

Car continued to struggle to achieve proper running temperature, and engine control soon shut the gauge down.

All Codes soon (100 miles/5 starts) reappeared.

Mechanic then removed thermostat, and re-installed it, being careful to properly position the "bleed hole" at 12 o'clock.

He also cleared codes for DIC after once again testing for misfires with the Tech tool, and finding none.

Presently, the car still struggles to achieve proper running temperature, and all codes have returned: p1312,p1340,p0116.

Is it possible something is causing the trionic system to return codes in error?

Is it possible the wiring harness is bad?

Shall I sell the car (in otherwise VERY good condition)?

Any ideas?

Thanks!

·
Registered
871 Posts
I would check out every inch of every wire in the wiring harness in that particular bundle to see if something has chaffed a wire or two or perhaps some evidence of a critter munching on them.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Dealing with same issue at the moment.2006 Saab 9 5 86k.
I also changed thermostat and coolant temp. sensor.Coolant flush .
Did not cure my problem.
Takes too long to warm up and when it does temp.gauge will drop from 9 o' clock to 8 and will fluctuate between .Sometimes go completely down.
Today reseated temp.sensor and torqued to 9.6 lb-ft and noticed that is warming up much faster and no more P0116 .
Fans cycle turn on/off and heat is coming thru vents.
However temp gauge still fluctuates slightly on the highway.Not bad as before when will go completely down .
I have Tech 2 and watched coolant temp. live data stream .It looks like when heating is on coolant temp. drops down to 201F or so after full warm up,needle at 8 o'clock.
Soonest i turn heat off coolant temp. raises to ~207-210F.Needle steady at 9 o' clock
Engine fans turn on at 210F and stop at 201F after cooling down.

Will update if i ever get on the bottom of this problem.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Update

Again,OEM coolant temperature sensor took care of the problem.
Note. Aftermarket sensors have thicker tip vs. Saab OEM (that goes into engine block).
I've tried two different brands with no satisfactory results :
Slow to warm up and eventual CEL,temp. gauge drops to zero were original symptoms.

So far so good .After over 2k miles driving in cold weather.Warms up quickly and temp.gauge is steady at 8:59
Knocking on the wood .

1 - 8 of 8 Posts