SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could someone send me in the right direction. I have a 01 Saab 9-5 SE with a 3.0 that has 146k on it. Recently just had head gaskets and valve cover gaskets replaced. Have probably only put about 150 miles on car since this was done and it has recently started to run really rough, sputters and sounds like it is knocking, has a loss of power, smells hot but gauge is reading normal, and coolant level is okay, check engine light is on and was at one point blinking and is throwing the cylinder #3 misfire code. The check engine light stopped blinking while driving it home and is still on but no longer blinking. Have not drove car since this happened. Questioning if the gasket and valve cover job were bad or could it be something related to this. Want to send it back to garage that did the work just want to make sure that if it's something that was caused by this that they come good for it. Ideas on what it could be and how I could trouble shoot myself before having it towed back there. Plugs? Head bolts need to be tightened? Could it be the gaskets still?

·
Registered
892 Posts
Sounds like valve cover gasket was not installed correctly- if at all

I just replaced mine on a 2.3 4 cylinder after having similar symptoms

Whoever did the gaskets may not have hooked all the tubing back up, or knocked a vacuum tube off by accident

Hard to know without seeing video or pics

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
The blinking CEL is telling you not to keep driving, it indicates a serious misfire that could damage your catalytic converter.

One of you DIC's (direct ignition cassette) is probably bad, that could be the hot smell, the engine is not running on all cylinders.
Call around to some salvage yards and see if they have a used one for the V6 engine.

OR... the timing belt may have slipped a tooth or two and the engine is not timed correctly, did they replace the timing belt and all related pulleys when they had the heads removed?

·
Registered
17 Posts
You have to read the codes and take it from there.As long as the Check Engine Light is On, the car will keep acting like that.
You have to read codes,delete them and see if they come back.(after deleting the codes car should drive normal until the light comes back on).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I'm looking over the bill and work order and it doesn't show where they replaced my plugs and wires. I'm no mechanic but shouldn't that be done if heads were bad? This would cause car to run rough and loose power correct? I had the codes read there was one for the cylinder #3 misfire and the other one was for the secondary air injection system malfunction which its been doing for a long time with no problems. I'm guessing it's the code for the misfire that's causing the problems.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
They wouldn't change the plugs unless they needed to, there are no wires to replace, you have 2 direct ignition cassettes, one of them is most likely bad.
What were the actual codes from the check engine light?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
P0303 was the code it was throwing for misfire and P0410 was the one for the secondary air injection system malfunction and that one is just cause the motor for the fan is gone.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
You could swap the two DIC's and see if the misfire moves to the other side with it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts