SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys!

I own a 1993 turbo convertible, in a pretty nice shape..

I have only one issue!! The cooling system seems not working very well..

I have already spent too much money (I'm a student) on it..
When I drive the car and I get some traffic, or I keep the car running on the parking the needle of the temp strats rising and stays a little over 3/4 (seems to much to me;oops: )..if i keep the AC on it's ok, sometimes it rises to 3/4 but normally it's around 1/2...the fans seem working fine..

I'm not a mechnaic so I don't have any idea where to put my hands..please help!!!

·
Registered
18,382 Posts
Sounds like the fans aren't working fine. Probably the temp switch.

·
Registered
962 Posts
I've had exactly the same symptoms before.

I suggest this simple check:

1) Turn on the AC by pressing the snowflake switch. Left fan (the fan further away from the battery) should come on. Sometimes, some c900s are wired so that BOTh fans come on with the AC on. I think you probably have both coming on, since it seems to cool the engine sufficiently.

2) Short the thermoswitch to see if the right fan comes on. You do not need the ignition to be ON to do this check. Locate the thermoswitch. It's on the left top corner of the radiator, facing the inside of the engine bay. It has 2 right-angled wires going into it, covered with rubber boots. Slide off the rubber boots, and use a screwdriver to short the contacts together. The right-hand side fan should come on.

3) If the right-hand fan does not come on, find out if its relay is working. Open the fuse/relay box cover and identify the relay that says, "Cooling Fan". Short the thermoswitch in (2) above and feel/hear whether the relay is clicking. If it doesn't click, you may have a dead relay.

4) If the relay does click, you may have a bad connection between the relay and the fan. The most likely culprit is the 2-wire connector supplying power to the fan. It's near the exhaust/turbo housing and may be loose/disconnected. The heat from the exhaust doesn't help.

5) Now, if all the above seems to work, you probably have a choked radiator, or a thermostat that doesn't fully open, or the thermoswitch doesn't work when the engine reaches working temperature (~1/2 of temp gauge) or a combination of all 3.

Mine was diagnosed as a choked radiator. I had it flushed, but that didn't help. I ended up changing the radiator for an new OEM one. Problem has since disappeared.

I subsequently had an intermittent problem with the right-hand fan not coming on, and that was traced to the bad connector mentioned in (4) above. The problem would appear only when the engine was hot, and disappear when it was cold. Probably has something to do with the metal connectors expanding in the heat. Cleaned it up and it was ok after that.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Would having only one of the 2 fans on the radiator connected cause problems or be the "result" of a problem?
Nothing happens when I hit the A/C button (A/C fuse is fine).....should I make my own thread about it?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts