SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1995 SAAB 9000CS
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! Grateful for any and all advice. I am an enthusiast of classic cars (thanks to my dad!), and used to own an '82 BMW 528e, and a 2005 VW Golf TDI. I now own a 1995 SAAB 9000 CS Turbo and on a drive from CA to New Mexico, started having engine problems.

I tried replacing the spark plugs, direct ignition cassette, main and fuel pump relays. That didn't resolve the issues. Finally brought it to a foreign auto service garage, and they did a compression test on the engine--the 4th cylinder isn't getting any compression, and they want to replace the engine.

I did a search on car-parts.com for compatible SAAB engines--wondering would a 1997 saab cse engine work in a 1995 saab 9000 cs? And with the 8th digit of the VIN number being an M (my car's 8th digit is a U).

Thanks in advance for any advice and help!
Haana

·
Super Moderator
3,076 Posts
Welcome! Yes, all 2.3 Turbo 9K motors are the same from 1994 to 1998. Aero's have bigger turbos, however the motors are exactly the same. Pretty rare to roast an engine on one of these, have them perform a leakdown test, if a valve failed in the head then a remanufactured/ used head will be cheaper, easier to replace (and good maintenance), and easier to find. If the leakdown shows loss in the lower end then an engine replacement would be the best option.
Tom

1 - 4 of 4 Posts