SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi fellow Saabers.

I'm new to the site so thought I'd say hello and see if anyone can offer some advice on a random and intermittent problem I've been having with my 2001 9-5 wagon?

A few weeks ago I had a very sluggish take off from a stop. My first thought was I had a slipping transmission as the car would barely move until I increased the revs where it would engage drive and carry on as normal. I've owned my 9-5 4 speed auto wagon for about three months and it's only done this twice. The car is low mileage and well looked after. Apart from this hesitation to get into gear the transmission has been perfect 99.9% of the time. No noises or clunks, no hard shifts, no codes and no transmission light on the dash.

I checked the fluid level and decided to change out the fluid as it was old looking and probably was due to be done. I drained and refilled three times so it should now have about 90% new fluid. Since the new fluid went in it has driven and shifted perfectly. I've done about 400 kms without any issue.

Yesterday on a short drive it again hesitated to get drive after coming to a stop. One thing I noticed (that I hadn't spotted when it did this before) was that the shift position indicator on the dash didn't show it was in D even though it was in drive. When I shifted back into N the dash indicator displayed R so I put the selector through the gears and the dash indicator did not follow. It would show D when I shifted into 1 & 2, R or N when I shifted it into Drive.....very strange. I shut the car off, restarted it and things went back to normal. So, my guess is whatever transmission issue I had causing hesitation from a start is more electrical related than mechanical/transmission related. I know the Aisin units are pretty bullet proof.

So, my thoughts are there is either a problem in the Neutral Safety Switch (Range selector switch) or the TCM (transmission control module). I know that NSS can wear over time and are prone to dirty contacts, old crusty grease etc. I guess I can remove it, disassemble and refit or just find another NSS to bolt in.
I have less experience with the TCM though. If there was a problem in the TCM would be it be more consistent or throw a check engine code or warning light on the dash? Am I right in thinking the TCM controls shift points to driving conditions? If so then it must be ok because it normally shifts perfectly, kicks down gear when climbing or overtaking correctly, engages the converter lock up at about 80kmh etc etc. I would've imagined if the TCM had a fault it would struggle to find the right gear, shift randomly etc?

I went back to basics and even checked the shift linkage cable. The bushing does need replacing and I will be replacing that in the next few days. So I've tried to eliminate everything I can think of.

Anyway, sorry for the long post but I wanted to try and give as much info as I could. I've researched as much as I can already but haven't found much.

I hope some of you boffins might shed some light or offer some direction, so thanks in advance.

Just to add it's a 2001 9-5 2.0T wagon with 153,000k. First generation with a 4 speed auto. Great condition, full history, well looked after and it's had a very easy life...

Cheers! Darren (Sydney Australia).

·
Registered
401 Posts
Hi fellow Saabers.

I'm new to the site so thought I'd say hello and see if anyone can offer some advice on a random and intermittent problem I've been having with my 2001 9-5 wagon?

A few weeks ago I had a very sluggish take off from a stop. My first thought was I had a slipping transmission as the car would barely move until I increased the revs where it would engage drive and carry on as normal. I've owned my 9-5 4 speed auto wagon for about three months and it's only done this twice. The car is low mileage and well looked after. Apart from this hesitation to get into gear the transmission has been perfect 99.9% of the time. No noises or clunks, no hard shifts, no codes and no transmission light on the dash.

I checked the fluid level and decided to change out the fluid as it was old looking and probably was due to be done. I drained and refilled three times so it should now have about 90% new fluid. Since the new fluid went in it has driven and shifted perfectly. I've done about 400 kms without any issue.

Yesterday on a short drive it again hesitated to get drive after coming to a stop. One thing I noticed (that I hadn't spotted when it did this before) was that the shift position indicator on the dash didn't show it was in D even though it was in drive. When I shifted back into N the dash indicator displayed R so I put the selector through the gears and the dash indicator did not follow. It would show D when I shifted into 1 & 2, R or N when I shifted it into Drive.....very strange. I shut the car off, restarted it and things went back to normal. So, my guess is whatever transmission issue I had causing hesitation from a start is more electrical related than mechanical/transmission related. I know the Aisin units are pretty bullet proof.

So, my thoughts are there is either a problem in the Neutral Safety Switch (Range selector switch) or the TCM (transmission control module). I know that NSS can wear over time and are prone to dirty contacts, old crusty grease etc. I guess I can remove it, disassemble and refit or just find another NSS to bolt in.
I have less experience with the TCM though. If there was a problem in the TCM would be it be more consistent or throw a check engine code or warning light on the dash? Am I right in thinking the TCM controls shift points to driving conditions? If so then it must be ok because it normally shifts perfectly, kicks down gear when climbing or overtaking correctly, engages the converter lock up at about 80kmh etc etc. I would've imagined if the TCM had a fault it would struggle to find the right gear, shift randomly etc?

I went back to basics and even checked the shift linkage cable. The bushing does need replacing and I will be replacing that in the next few days. So I've tried to eliminate everything I can think of.

Anyway, sorry for the long post but I wanted to try and give as much info as I could. I've researched as much as I can already but haven't found much.

I hope some of you boffins might shed some light or offer some direction, so thanks in advance.

Just to add it's a 2001 9-5 2.0T wagon with 153,000k. First generation with a 4 speed auto. Great condition, full history, well looked after and it's had a very easy life...

Cheers! Darren (Sydney Australia).
Definitely check the shifter linkage bush on top of the transmission. This usually perishes You can get a quick and easy replacement bush on the internet from USA. Not cheap because of supplier postage. If you know anyone in USA that can receive and onward post it is cheaper.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thx for the replies...

The mounts seem good...

I have got a hold of the replacement cable bushing locally ($40 AUD) and it should arrive in a day or two, so I'll at least eliminate that.

Will keep you posted!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts