SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Morning. Its been a while. I was on here for years but I believe the email etc is long gone so, I just re-registered. Time to start anew!

I just bought a 2005 9-3 linear. This will be my 4th saab (Priors were 99 9-3 Vert, 2001 9-5 V6 and 2007 9-3). The car came with maintenance records (a must for me) and has been well maintained. It has a few issues Intend to rectify. I know how to fix all but one. The issue is the random alarm going off. In prior years this was fixed by refurbing the siren module, which i have done before. However my understanding is that this model does not have a separate siren, but rather the security system is integrated into the horn.
1) any insight into solving the random security alarm issue?
2) HVAC controls do not light up - can the lights be changed or does it require swapping the control itself?

any input would be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Let me add to this. I have not yet experienced the alarm issue. I just got the car. The prior owner pulled the horn relay and just never locked the car because according to him it would go off in the middle of the night etc and wake up the neighborhood.
According to the prior owner it was random and always when it was parked, engine off security enabled.

·
Registered
939 Posts
HVAC bulbs are easy to change. Unit pries out with a putty knife or something similar. The bulbs are specific and a little expensive.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Do all of your door locks work properly? The previous owner on my 08 Aero had an issue where the alarm would always go off because the rear passenger door lock was busted. His mechanic turned off the alarm system with Tech II and I haven't experienced the issue. Not sure if our cars have the same security system though.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update.The Key fob will not lock or unlock the car when pressing buttons. Yesterday I was able to unlock the trunk lid and it set off the alarm system. pressing the unlock stopped the alarm. tonight the key fob it would not open the trunk.
The drivers side door buttons will not lock or unlock the car, the passenger side door switch will lock and unlock the doors just fine.

I am going to replace the battery and see if that makes a difference...either way the drivers side door switch doesnt work.

thoughts?

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
The locking issue could be as simple as the door switch (buttons). Otherwise it sounds like you might need a new DDM - the driver door switch pack. The door locking switch connects directly to the DDM.

The BCM, door switch packs, CIM (remote receiver) plus other sensors, switches and their wiring are all in play here.

I assume you have multiple key fobs with fresh batteries and they all do the same thing.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The locking issue could be as simple as the door switch (buttons). Otherwise it sounds like you might need a new DDM - the driver door switch pack. The door locking switch connects directly to the DDM.

The BCM, door switch packs, CIM (remote receiver) plus other sensors, switches and their wiring are all in play here.

I assume you have multiple key fobs with fresh batteries and they all do the same thing.
I only have one working fob/key.... there is another but it does not work

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
First order of business should be getting a second (OEM only!) key fob paired to the car. This will also tell you if the switches in the first fob are shot. Having only one is living dangerously.

You can check the alarm wiring from the trunk, hood, and door switches to the CIM with Tech2 at the same time, and read any other stored DTCs from the car.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
First order of business should be getting a second (OEM only!) key fob paired to the car. This will also tell you if the switches in the first fob are shot. Having only one is living dangerously.

You can check the alarm wiring from the trunk, hood, and door switches to the CIM with Tech2 at the same time, and read any other stored DTCs from the car.

okcrum, I agree. first thing i did was make an APPT to get an OEM key programmed. while they have the tech 2 on it, i will have them check as much as possible.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
okcrum, I agree. first thing i did was make an APPT to get an OEM key programmed. while they have the tech 2 on it, i will have them check as much as possible.
another update.......

I went to a pick and pull today and picked up a few switches etc and will replace those.

I pulled the the MCC off tonight and pulled the 2 bulbs which are not illuminating when the car is on. I tested the bulbs and they light up on 12v so the bulbs are good yet they do not light up when installed in the MCC.

the MCC itself works perfectly. NOt sure what to do short of replacing the MCC.

any input is appreciated

·
Super Moderator
20,206 Posts
Sounds like a bad ground in mcc.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sounds like a bad ground in mcc.
I am good with wiring and electrical issues. I am much less good at the board level. Is this something fixable or better off sourcing a good working unit?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I am good with wiring and electrical issues. I am much less good at the board level. Is this something fixable or better off sourcing a good working unit?
I have been working on this here and there. here is where I am with it....

The hazard light lights up and nothing else does..I went to a junk yard and found an MCC. I put it in and I get the same exact thing. Hazard is on but nothing else.

any ideas how to troubleshoot?

·
Registered
8,889 Posts
MCC panel:
Pin 4 Illumination voltage (varies depending dimming)
Pin 3 ground

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thank you. Do you have pin diagram? or reference. Ie where is pin 1 and how are they referenced from pin1 forward?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ok ignore last request..pins are marked and number on each end...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts