SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My name is Scott and I recently purchased my first SAAB, a '93 900S. My problem is this, it won't come out of reverse. I've tried to shift it out with the key in all of its positions, lockout ring up, lockout ring down, and I just can't get it to shift out of reverse. Any and all input would be welcomed. Cheers, Scott

·
Registered
888 Posts
Pull the gearlever further back in reverse, whilst holding it there pump the clutch a couple of times and turn the key far left then right again, should come out now.

If not, foot on clutch, start engine and gradually let clutch out so you move backwards a little, then try again.

Dan.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I second Dans_t16s comments; mine needs this 'little backup' regularly if there's even a little slope causing the car to roll. Rather like the way any other car can have the steering wheel lock difficult to unlock until you relieve the load on the steering wheel that's holding it tight.

Also, make sure that every driver knows that the key can be removed ONLY when the gear shift is in reverse - it's an expensive repair if they damage the lockout by pulling it out in neutral or any other gear.

·
Super Moderator
3,026 Posts
Mine did this, I had to muscle it out. A month or two after my trans split. Does the trans whine in gear? If so you may be on borrowed tranny time.

Tom

·
Registered
30 Posts
One think to check , this happended to me but in 2nd gear, not reverse. Go under the car and see if the selector rod is actualy connected to the rest of the gear selector linkage. There is a shift coupler that secures the two bits together. Mine was loose , so while moving the shifter in the car it wasnt engaging the selector . Go under the car you will see it in the middle next to the steering rack.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
From bad to worse... Now the ignition switch is stuck in the "lock" mode with half of the key broken off inside it... And it's still stuck in reverse. This car has allready begun to loose its charm, and I haven't even driven it yet! Talk me down from the ledge, Guys. Cheers, Scott

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
it's possible that you got a key (with your used Saab) that's incorrect and have broken it off. If it was my car I'd see if the key in question (or one of the others that you received when you bought the car) work in the door locks - if I found one that did I would probably take a dental pick or other probe and try to remove the bit of key from the ignition tumbler . Once I'd accomplished that I'd see if any of the other keys worked in the igntion. If I'd only been provided with a single key I'd probably remove the ignition assembly (key tumber) and try starting the car with a screw driver - the ignition assembly is easy to remove - take the plastic stuff off that covers the e-brake and ignition switch - take off three (IRRC) bolts and it's out - then you can use a screw drive in the actual switch.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts