SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, Newbie here :D

Just wanted to say thanks to you for starters as had problems with my 95 Aero today....the "chimes" that normally remind you to put seat on, or turn lights off etc were going constantly, even after trying pressing every button in sight, turning off ignition,re-doing seatbelt etc etc. There was no message on the display to show an error or anything.It was driving us bloody mad!! Had a mooch around on your site and used the "remove fuse" option and thank god it worked.
Has anyone had this happen to them, or any ideas what it could be please?

Also get a random "bing-bong" when I stop occasionally and the ! lights up, and handbrake light goes on briefly...any ideas please?
Thanks in advance :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
gghh said:
Check your brake fluid level !

And when you are already in there check the other fluids also.

Hiya,
Funnily enough thought the brake fluid may be the problem as could not see the level thro the plastic but after cleaning the cap and removing, found fluid level up almost to max. Have also checked the oil level and topped up.
Its probably gonna end up being something pretty simple like that I imagine :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
luv2drinkcoke said:
Maybe check for water under your carpet?

Hmmm, have not done that yet....I assume you think that could be causing a short in the electrics somewhere??

·
Registered
445 Posts
I have that bing bong come up occassionally along with the ! sign - it does it when i am uphill or downhill, while cornering AND braking AND have clutch pedal down - checked fluid and it is slightly below max, so me thinks that it sets the sensor off when car is at awkward angle!

I suppose i should turn off Hollyoaks and go buy some brake fluid!:cheesy:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
MIKE AERO HOT said:
I have that bing bong come up occassionally along with the ! sign - it does it when i am uphill or downhill, while cornering AND braking AND have clutch pedal down - checked fluid and it is slightly below max, so me thinks that it sets the sensor off when car is at awkward angle!

I suppose i should turn off Hollyoaks and go buy some brake fluid!:cheesy:

Yup, thats exactly the same as mine does...thought it was just my driving style :cheesy:

·
Registered
445 Posts
Lol it must be when the fluid is in use for the brakes AND the clutch, the level in the reservoir must decrease, and starts sloshing around setting the sensor off. And this has only started since my brake pads have worn down halfway or so.

I will top it up and see what happens! Just have to find out which fluid to use!:cheesy:

·
Registered
445 Posts
Right then, some brake fluid from Halfords (Super Dot 5.1 etc etc) 250ml bottle for £3.99. Half used to top up my 95 - feels good and no chiming on same bit of road!:cheesy:

Other half topped up my Focus, that feels better now too! Both brake pedals feel firmer and both clutch pedals feel bit better!:cheesy:

·
Registered
445 Posts
It wasnt too low, it was only slightly below max. All discs are healthy and pads at front are half worn, rears seem good as new!

Im too fussy - if there is a 'max' line, the fluid MUST be there. NOT in between!:cheesy:

And as for Focus, I lost a bit of fluid when i was playing around with the rear brake shoes sorting a squeak! Those brakes are fairly good too!:cheesy:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Okey doke sounds like I should top up the brake fluid anyway then (thought the book says DOT4 tho??) we actually laughed yesterday when we were getting the constant "ding-ding-ding" then on top came the "Ding-Dong"....was pretty bizarre really. Or am I just nuts???

...the bells ....the bells :confused:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
MIKE AERO HOT said:
Right then, some brake fluid from Halfords (Super Dot 5.1 etc etc) 250ml bottle for £3.99. Half used to top up my 95 - feels good and no chiming on same bit of road!:cheesy:

Other half topped up my Focus, that feels better now too! Both brake pedals feel firmer and both clutch pedals feel bit better!:cheesy:

Focus???? Hope its the wifes' car....or at least the ST version!!
Hubby has had an ST24, ST 220...and now onto a Vectra VXR (280bhp)....
last few of my cars have been V6 fords.
think the neighbours get the idea we like powerful cars somehow :cheesy: not that I like taking out boy-racers at the lights of course :nono;

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
Rokchk said:
think the neighbours get the idea we like powerful cars somehow :cheesy:
At the moment they probably think you love grand father clocks :eek:

Bong :p

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Rokchk said:
(thought the book says DOT4 tho??)
5.1 is unnecassary in these cars, plus it has to be changed more often due to it's inability to absorb water as well.

DOT4 is perfectly adequate.

Good luck tracking down that electrical fault. When you find it please let us know what it was.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Chris 9-5 said:
At the moment they probably think you love grand father clocks :eek:

Bong :p
lol :lol:

Luckily we live next to old folks who are nearly deaf so it has its benefits!!
Just cant the sound of the damn chimes out of my head now :cheesy:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Gazolzwurf said:
5.1 is unnecassary in these cars, plus it has to be changed more often due to it's inability to absorb water as well.

DOT4 is perfectly adequate.

Good luck tracking down that electrical fault. When you find it please let us know what it was.
Thanks, will get some DOT4 later and top up to the max...it seems to have
fixed the problem for MIKE AERO HOT so keeping my fingers crossed.

·
Registered
445 Posts
lol yes it is the wife's car actually, but i use it quite a bit! Its just an LX unfortunately, but it does the job (actually a very good car)!

I plan to get rid of that Focus and get a Skyline within next year or two, then the Mrs will drive the Aero and I will have my 2.6 twin turbo GTR!!:cheesy: Although she says she wants to keep the Focus over the Aero! What???:confused: I aint getting rid of my Saab!

Hmmm...I knew Dot 4 was recommended but the 5.1 will do, it meets the spec i suppose:)

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
MIKE AERO HOT said:
I plan to get rid of that Focus and get a Skyline within next year or two, then the Mrs will drive the Aero and I will have my 2.6 twin turbo GTR!!:cheesy:
Yeah I plan to sell my wife's clio and buy a DB9 :p

1 - 20 of 22 Posts