SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have for two days now that problem.

• 10/10 heavy white smoke at cold start
  • when driving heavy cloud off blue greyish smoke with a strong burn smell .
  • cars behind me stay at distance
  • pour oil for 50km more than 1 lt oil.
  • no special coolant level down.
after reading some posts here it mean turbo leak or i think wrong ?
my question is how many time for swapping turbo and which hard it is ?
Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
7,988 Posts
Most likely the turbo, especially if you have the Garrett

Stop driving it and you're probably in the range where you can rebuild it. If you keep going it's going to get worse and you're going to have to replace it.

The easy way to tell is to unbolt the downpipes from the turbo outlet and the support bracket. pull it away and reach into the turbo and feel the turbine blade for movement, "play" both back and forth (across) the turbo wheel and axially (along) the turbine shaft. high chance you'll find it.

What has happened is that the bearings and seals in the turbo are going and oil is leaking past the seals and getting burned by the hot exhaust gas. Rebuild kits are available with youtube videos on how to do it. Or if the damage is already too great you can buy what is known as a CHRA (center housing rotating assembly) that has the turbine, bearings and center section and replace that using your compressor and exhaust housings which are unlikely to be damaged.

Or you can buy a whole turbo

Rebuild kit is probably less than $100
CHRA is around $300
turbo is around $600

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks once again uncle I have afraid is it the piston rings or other major issue. for the turbo i have one of my last engine swapping ...not to expansive ...but fear the worst about.

·
Registered
8,299 Posts
Most likely turbo, bought my first Saab like that drove up to the guys house, mint 78 99 and he had it runing with the hood up and scratching his head. it looked like james bond smoke screen Car Price went from 1800 to 500 quick, a used turbo and it was on the road for 650 bucks

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I Have found a good Mech.

this is finally and effectively the turbo who's dead.
taking out and in maybe in 4 hours nice job We've made, need lots of different tools, spans eyelet spans .... lots of smoke at the fresh start running engine roughly for evacuate oil from exhaust.my mechanic is very experienced and it's not so much ...

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Yes, it will sometimes take some time to get the oil burned out of the exhaust. Be patient and put some miles on it with the new turbo.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.