SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's leaking. Puddles on left hand floor. Where can I get replacements that won't interfere with current driver's pedal?

·
Registered
3,530 Posts
SaabArrogance said:
It's leaking. Puddles on left hand floor. Where can I get replacements that won't interfere with current driver's pedal?
It's probably the heater control valve that's leaking as the cores are fully sealed up (though I'm sure they do break down over time too). THere are a few places they can leak from, but the most common ones are the join between the two halves of the valve body and from the top where the sliding 'pinion' (which is what the control shaft moves) comes out.

You can get replacement ones through sellers on Ebay, or get a Saab workshop to replace the old one for you.

At the same time, you could get the hoses to/from the heater control valve in the engine bay checked to make sure they don't need replacing, and also look at the core to see if it's ok.

Craig.

·
Registered
5,464 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I can't see anything, but do know that it get's wet on the firewall in the engine bay as well. It wasn't so much puddles as the carpet was soaked, I could squegee out coolant, though. I can't tell if the pump is leaking as well, or if the fitting where the hoses go in the engine bay are, but I do know that the hoses look like they're in great condition. Besides, if they were leaking, wouldn't that be in the engine bay or inside only?

I know the valve was so stiff before that it broke the control rod off of the control knob. It leaks very slowly, I get no smoke or strong antifreeze smell from the vents, and have noticed that if it's below 1500 to 2500 rpm the heat gets real cold real quick. However I also know that this has been a problem in these cars and sell some sort of routing valve to splice into the hose to relieve this (they used to sell a recirc. pump for this, but it isn't necessary on 16 valve models).

Don't know. Maybe it's a worn out valve and a bad pump? Maybe the metal fitting for the heater core hose passthrough is leaking?

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
From what you say there, that the valve was so stiff you broke the shaft, the valve must be the guilty party. The only way I could tell my valve was leaking was by looking through the LH speaker hole and then moving the heat selector on and off, I could then see coolant leaking out of the valve shaft seal.

It is not too difficult to strip away the knee bolster and heater ducting to expose the heater and pipes. Run the car like that to be sure of the location of the problem.

It's certainly not unknown for cores to blow but it is more likeley the valve or the seal between the valve and the core pipes.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Why would it be leaking outside the car as well? Would the valve do that or could it be a bad water pump as well? I'm dying here, and so is my car.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
SaabArrogance said:
Why would it be leaking outside the car as well? Would the valve do that or could it be a bad water pump as well? I'm dying here, and so is my car.
It depends on how much it is leaking outside the car. If the valve is leaking a small amount of fluid can run along the bottom of the pipes and, if the bulkhead seal is not perfect, can continue along the pipes 'till it reaches the lowest point and drips off.

If it is a large amount then it could be coming from any one of a number of places; all hose joints, water pump, thermostat housing, water cooled turbo, fan thermo switch etc. The only sure way to trace that is to leave the car ticking over and with lights and mirrors try to trace the run of the fluid back.

It may also be coming from the expansion tank overflow.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The fluid does get all over the bulkhead, and pools in the corner where the water pump and expansion tank are. It is possible that it's from the expansion tank overflow, I have been refilling the coolant at rather high levels.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts