SaabCentral Forums banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
@EdT thanks again mate and I will do I have created A log to give to them. I like to try and fix most things myself but when it comes to engine cooling that’s something that can kill the car and better done by professionals if I’m not sure of what I’m doing ...
the car does not overheat at all is the funny thing..the temperature needle stays at the midline of the temp guage throughout operation ...in stop and go driving it doesn’t get hotter...with the ac on full blast it stays the same ...the only time it moves after reaching operating temp is on the highway where it get a tiny bit cooler..the needle moves down a small amount .... that’s the weird thing in all of this there does not seem to be an overheating problem regardless of that expansion tank emptying itself. does anyone know what the normal operating temperature is for these cars ...is around the middle of the temperature guage the correct reading?
Unless my temp guage is broken ..dunno ...
when I bought the car I drove it 160 kms like this watching that guage like a hawk ...most of the ride was on hwy though @ 110 kms ...the end 20 mins was stop and go traffic where I was expecting an overheat but it didn’t happen.... had the ac on the full way aswell ...so yeah this one is a bit of a mystery ...I will report back once the shop figures it out just in case in the future someone has something similar happen..they can find info on what it could be on this forum.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Early on in this thread Someone in here asked if I got an OEM cap or a generic...well I did go to the auto parts store and get a generic that is supposed to work with these cars ...anyone has this problem in the future make sure and get an original part ..the cap they give you at the auto parts store that they say will work with your 9-3 will not hold pressure even a little bit...I just had the car in for service and solving the fluid boiling Out problem was a simple as an original cap ... the cap they gave me at the auto parts store while does fit the thread has an entirely different mechanism for plugging the lid ..don’t get it ..worthless...the OEM cap is 70 dollars double the cost of the one from the auto parts ...but well worth avoiding all the hassles and problems, plus it actually works lol

·
Registered
8,237 Posts
Well, hopefully that one cap is the solution!

I don't know your situation in Australia, but around here there are enough of these cars in the junkyard. A spare expansion tank and cap would not be more than $15 if you pull it yourself.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
@EdT not quite as simple here ..there is a Saab salvage but no pull it yourself and prices are quite expensive...I just got a used wire harness and sensor for outdoor temp and foglights and it was over 100 bucks...the cap was 75 but was new from the Saab repair seems to be holding pressure and no longer boiling over....turns out the radiator fan is some aftermarket part programmable with an always on blue led panel...I looked up the part ..it has a few sensors one in the coolant and an outside sensor that monitor the temps....you program it to come on at certain temperatures....the Saab repair shop told me it’s working properly and enabling at the right temps .... I don’t like having aftermarket parts .would rather the car worked as intended so that will be another decent expense getting an OEM radiator fan controller installed..
.over here if a car is older than 10 years you have to have a safety inspection annually ..was just 1200 dollars to get the car up to minimum standards just so I could register it and the car looked sounded etc very clean when I bought it ..so yeah can get pricey quickly ..I got the car at a great price but slowly it’s turning out not to be such a great deal...although I love these 9-3s so still worth it to me...even though resale prices are aweful for Saab’s ....non Saab people don’t get it haha
hey any chance do you or anyone know the answer to this......, does the outside temperature sensor route through the fan controller in anyway or a computer unit or anything else? The new sensor and wire harness I installed ....well the connector was ripped off so I spliced the wires ..did it properly with heat shrink wrap etc ....one foglight does not work i checked the globe and it’s fine ...I’m guessing maybe in that connector it had a shared ground with the other fog light ..so may try wiring the ground to the second fog light....the other thing the outdoor temp sensor either reads 60 deg Celsius or ———— ..it cycles between the two states every 30 seconds or so ....I’m wondering is it maybe the wiring or could something else cause the problems? Does that wire harness route through some other system or direct to the Sid and fog light switch anyone know ...I have read somewhere about I think it was called a cbm or comb or some sort of computer unit ...maybe that was also disabled when the previous owner installed the aftermarket fan controller or was bad and what caused the other 7nit to be installed and the OEM fan controller to be bypassed ....I have ordered two connectors to connect it up properly just wired it up this way temporarily to make sure the parts I bought all work as there is a limited return time .. I know it’s not the sensor as I got a second new one just to make sure.... just not sure if it’s the direct wiring or could be something else...I have read somewhere that outdoor temp sensor helps with the ac and the cooling system somehow in which case would make sense it would plugin to some kind of controller or computer which may be faulty on this car and I need to replace...

21 - 24 of 24 Posts