SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a 1989 Saab 900 Turbo, and thought the heater was working fine. But I turned it on last night and only the side vents are blowing slightly warmed air. The central vent blows cold air. The AC is NOT on, and the vent system is open (re-circ is off).

Has anyone seen this on their 900, and if so is there a fairly easy fix?

Please let me know.

Thanks,

Dave

·
Registered
5,677 Posts
I'm pretty sure that is how it is supposed to be. You can have hot out of the sides, top or bottom - but not the middle which are permenantly cold.

I find it can be quite refreshing to have the heater cranked up quite high yet
still get a fresh draft out too.

Do you need heaters at this time of year in california anyhow? Im in the UK and still havent started using mine yet!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks for the reply.

I stopped by a local Saab repair shop this morning to pick up a new intake manifold grommet, and desribed the problem to the shop owner. He asked if the "heat knob" was turning easily, and it is. Turns out that the knob's connector may have disconnected from the actual control. I'm taking the car in next week for a once-over, and will have him fix it then.

I was having one of my intake grommets "pop" when I kind of leaned on the accelerator and the turbo kicked in. But the shop gave me a slightly used grommet gratis (a good faith gesture to start a new biz relationsihp, I s'pose...), and I installed it myself in less then three minutes. Now when I kick in the turbo, the car really scoots.

Cheers,

Dave

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Interesting. Thanks for the info.

Are there any parts sources people in this forum would recommend (or not recommend)? Parts can be new or used. I've heard of Rancho Cordova here in California, but would be interested to know if there are other good sources.

I'd like to get an overhead dome-light, since right now I only have the light that is attached to the center rear-view mirror.

Also, how much of a PITA is it to swap the instrument lights?

Cheers,

Dave

·
Registered
9,170 Posts
Do you mean change the instrument light bulbs? Very easy. Take out speker grille, change bulb. There's a write-up in the tech help section as well.

Parts online, a lot of people over there use Eeuroparts. For a dome light I got one from a C900 that was being broken - cost 50 pence.

·
Registered
166 Posts
The centre vent will always blow cold air. SAAB's thinking was that having cold air blown at the face will help the driver stay fresh and awake even when lovely warm air is being blown around the rest of the car.

As for the disconnected control arm, this is a very common problem but the symptoms for this are that the heat level cannot be changed, usually stuck on cold in winter or hot in summer:roll: . Assuming you can control the heat at the side vents than your heating is working perfectly.

·
Registered
444 Posts
You can always check to see the heater control rod is turning the tap at the firewall while you have the lhs speaker grille out.

More generally, check to be sure you're getting HOT air with the heater turned on full, (and cold when turned full off) and if not you should go looking for a cause. I recently had anything between HOT and COLD with the heater knob left at full on, and it turned out to be a knackered thermostat. An easy fix, but do get the correct thermostat, not a cheapie.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts