SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can anyone give me the link for the schematics for the heater core? Apparetly the last owner cut the lines put in a u joint and bypassed it. I'm told it's not a hard job. Bentley publishing is out of the books.

·
Registered
954 Posts
It doesnt matter which hose goes where to the heater core. The single hose could go on the top or bottom. same as the 3way hose. Check out a junk yard before purchasing a new one. I bought a new one from eeuroparts an I think I got the wrong one. its a little too small. I found one at a junk yard and its not that bad. and it was super cheap

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sorry I meant replacing the core. the last owner pulled the hoses put a U joint there. So I need to see how to get the core, which I am told is under or behind the steering column. THanks

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
If the last owner put a U bend in the heater pipes to 'delete' the heater I would have thought it likeley that the U bend would be noticeable above or around the alternator and that the in/out pipes to the heater were still protruding from the bulkhead, again above the alternator. If the connectors are not visible it is likeley that the heater has been removed, though goodness knows why.

First thing to do is disconnect the heater control from the valve; remove left speaker grille and you can see the rod that links the control to the valve, just prise that away, gently.
To get to the heater you first have to remove the knee bolster under the dash (one bolt on each side just inside each wing/fender and one bolt behind the ashtray). You then need to remove the air distribution gallery (large black plastic item that goes almost the width of the footwell) attached by a number of hex head screws. With this out of the way the heater core is visible, just prise it out of the holder. You will damage most of the sealing foam that surrounds the core, this will have to be replaced as will all of the foam that seals the heater box itself.

Do you know why the heater was deleted in the first place? It could be that the heater core is blocked, simple flushing will not clear this, it needs to be soaked for a period in a coolant system flushing agent. It could also be that the control valve was leaking (drips into Left footwell) in which case the valve will need replacing.

I replaced my heater core recently as the original was blocked, it appeared to be working but there was no heat coming into the car. I did all of the above now I get third degree burns to the legs every time I go for a drive.

Good luck.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you and thank god for u people and this forum. We expect the core leaked and went bad

My only other question is about the speaker. You mean the one on the dash above the steering wheel because I have no door speakers. That just prys out? Thanks. Gary. And happy holidays

1 - 6 of 6 Posts