SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After about 10 - 15 minutes, my heater starts blowing cold. Is that a refrigerant issue? Or ???? Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
What faults are shown when you do the diagnostic? (Press OFF and AUTO etc.)

Does the heat and/or cold work normally at first?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did replace the blend door step motors, filled up the Freon and had AC for most of the summer until it needed more. Despite the “new” blend doors, the codes are the infamous 8 &11. I’ve heard and experienced that the codes could show despite the blend doors working correctly.

·
Premium Member
4,346 Posts
What is your engine coolant level?

What is the temperature gauge doing?

Does engine revs/car speed effect heating?

·
Registered
7,937 Posts
First, if you still have codes 8 and 11 you still have blend door issues. you may have replaced the steppers but if the shafts are broken you are still in for some work to repair them. If the blend doors are in the wrong spot too much outside air is coming in and if it's cold out you'll get no heat. Take the motors off and do the recalibration (Off-Auto0 and make sure the arms are moving on the motors. Then check the blend doors themselves.

Second, did you recently change the coolant bypass valve? If you did there is a chance that you mixed up some of the hoses and this will get you no heat. (I did this once!)

third as Bob3000 said, whats the coolant level? what's the temp gauge doing?

lots of places to look but if you have the codes that's where you need to go first.

·
Registered
1996 9000 Aero; 2010 9-3 SC; 2004 9-5 Wagon (lpt); ex- 2006 9-3 2.0T SC
107 Posts
Just want to attest to functioning blend doors in conjunction with an 8 & 11 fault code remaining....

I replaced blend doors on both left and right hand sides about 2 years ago on my 2004, and have a fully functioning climate control system, but still have the 8 & 11 codes. Long story, but verified by my tech 2 and visual tests as well as my trusted indy mechanic taking a look....(i believe this is due to a weird mid year 2004 change and slightly different tech bulletin fix than for the pre 2004's)

testing blend doors should be possible if you are getting good heat for 10 -15 mins...

hopefully culprit will show itself quickly and easily. good luck

·
Registered
9,460 Posts
How warm does it get in the first 15 minutes?

If you turn off the car and restart, does the heat come back?

As stated, the symptoms don't make a whole lot of sense. Possibly the cabin temperature sensor is malfunctioning. A Tech II look at system codes and what the system is "seeing" with its sensors would be very helpful.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I had this problem once that the heater bypass valve was broken inside and the valve moved to a half open half closed position.
When airflow is low, normally adjusted by automatic climate control, after the start, it was ok, but when engine temperature rises, ACC detects this and wants to heat up more/faster, therefore increasing air blower speed.
As heating capability was too low it had the opposite effect: more air through heater core resulted in colder air.
Heater bypass valve was not leaking outside.
Fast test: remove cover in passenger foot space and try to touch both cooling pipes. If one is cold and the other one hot, there is a chance that heater bypass valve is not working as intended.
Problem also occured especially during idle when there is low water flow due to low engine speed. In winter condition so much heat was extracted that the return pipe was at 20°C while the other one could not be touched for longer than a few seconds.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What is your engine coolant level?

What is the temperature gauge doing?

Does engine revs/car speed effect heating?
Excuse me taking so long to get back to this....

Coolant level is good
Temperature gauge is in the middle
Revs or car speed has no effecr

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
First, if you still have codes 8 and 11 you still have blend door issues. you may have replaced the steppers but if the shafts are broken you are still in for some work to repair them. If the blend doors are in the wrong spot too much outside air is coming in and if it's cold out you'll get no heat. Take the motors off and do the recalibration (Off-Auto0 and make sure the arms are moving on the motors. Then check the blend doors themselves.

Second, did you recently change the coolant bypass valve? If you did there is a chance that you mixed up some of the hoses and this will get you no heat. (I did this once!)

third as Bob3000 said, whats the coolant level? what's the temp gauge doing?

lots of places to look but if you have the codes that's where you need to go first.
Thanks unclemiltie!

I did Check the arms and they move the way they are supposed to. I did off/auto prior to installation. It’s not that I don’t get any heat, it cuts off after 10-15 minutes. Same thing?

I didn’tchange the bypass valve

Coolant is good, level is at 50% on the dial.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I happened to notice that in some past posts, (which I have also chimed in on regards the weird mid year 2004 change in stepper motors) that you have had some issues with the ACC. And that you might have swapped in a different ACC unit than was original to the car. I bring this up, only because the issues may lie there if the blend door issues can be ruled out.

It's maybe too wild of a guess to be constructive and may lead on a wild goose chase, but worth adding to the mix of places to explore for this issue, a faulty ACC unit?

This is not an apples to apples comparison, but i had the exact same symptoms on my 9000 last winter. 10-15 minutes of nice hot air, and then cool to cold for the rest of the ride. Long story short, swapping out ACC units was the eventual fix (after a few days of watching and testing everything else (internal temp sensor, stepper motor blend doors etc)

I dont know if there is a way to check for faults in the ACC unit itself on the 9-5 (not just from the recalibration program), having never attempted it...tech2??

hopefully someone else with more definitive knowledge will chime in..
My GUESS (and its just a guess) is that even with the blend door arm repair, the female tube may be cracked significantly enough that its causing trouble when ACC calls to blend air,---- or the ACC unit is going wonky.

Have you tried running it on high heat the whole ride (thus keeping the system from ever attempting to bend air)? what temp setting are you calling for? and how cold is external temps?

hopefully something comes up that is clear. good luck

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I went on a drive today and here is what I experienced

1) Set heat at 78, had heat from 3 vents. Center vent was blowing coolish

2) Set ACC to “HI”, hot air from all vents. After moving temperature to lower temperature (82, 80, 78), almost immediately all vents blowing cold.

Suggestions?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I happened to notice that in some past posts, (which I have also chimed in on regards the weird mid year 2004 change in stepper motors) that you have had some issues with the ACC. And that you might have swapped in a different ACC unit than was original to the car. I bring this up, only because the issues may lie there if the blend door issues can be ruled out.

It's maybe too wild of a guess to be constructive and may lead on a wild goose chase, but worth adding to the mix of places to explore for this issue, a faulty ACC unit?

This is not an apples to apples comparison, but i had the exact same symptoms on my 9000 last winter. 10-15 minutes of nice hot air, and then cool to cold for the rest of the ride. Long story short, swapping out ACC units was the eventual fix (after a few days of watching and testing everything else (internal temp sensor, stepper motor blend doors etc)

I dont know if there is a way to check for faults in the ACC unit itself on the 9-5 (not just from the recalibration program), having never attempted it...tech2??

hopefully someone else with more definitive knowledge will chime in..
My GUESS (and its just a guess) is that even with the blend door arm repair, the female tube may be cracked significantly enough that its causing trouble when ACC calls to blend air,---- or the ACC unit is going wonky.

Have you tried running it on high heat the whole ride (thus keeping the system from ever attempting to bend air)? what temp setting are you calling for? and how cold is external temps?

hopefully something comes up that is clear. good luck
Great points you make. I think I have the original ACC unit. Now I have to find it! Thanks. I’ll get back to you.

·
Registered
107 Posts
With what you describe it sounds like the blend doors are just falling shut or closing too much whenever the ACC regulates for temp, thus no heat, and as per Mimmis thoughts it doesnt sound like the ACC unit is wonky...

---if I recall correctly HI ACC = fully open blend doors and LO= fully shut blend doors).... anything in between will at some point require "blending"

A tech 2 will be able to manipulate and read the settings of the blend door and one can fairly easily determine the mechanical fault this way. Without a tech2:

--you should be able to see what is going on at the blend doors if you have the kick panels off and etc.... you might be able to see why that is happening, especially if you can watch it when the ACC calls for blend door motor to work. If you can see the motor engage the lever to adjust the blend door slipping, then you will know pretty well its a mechanical issue there.

Remember that the female blend door tube may be cracked and deteriorated enough that the stepper motor arm just spins incorrectly within it....

·
Registered
9,460 Posts
Watch the ACC distribution information--that's toggled on/off by pressing AUTO.

If it's really sunny, yes the ACC thinks you want cool air through the dash vents. That's even if the outside temperature is below freezing.

The usual "I'm heating the car" distribution is defrost and floor on. If it switches to face (panel), then you probably will get cool air coming in.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Your ACC is acting normal.
ACC description starts in pg 75.
Well that would be great. I understnd the cool air through the center vent, My previous car, Mercedes 190e did the same thing. I don't understand how I can go from the "HI" setting to 82 and it starts blowing cold immediately. Can you explain? or direct me to the page in the owners manual that spells that out? Thanks Mimmi!

·
Registered
9,157 Posts
That is normal, because ACC warms/cools cabin fastest way.
When you select HI, you have full heating and when you lower it to 82F, ACC starts to cool cabin immediately to reach cabin temperature to selected temperature.
This same situation occurs (reversed) when you first select LO and then raise temperature.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
That is normal, because ACC warms/cools cabin fastest way.
When you select HI, you have full heating and when you lower it to 82F, ACC starts to cool cabin immediately to reach cabin temperature to selected temperature.
This same situation occurs (reversed) when you first select LO and then raise temperature.
Thanks for explaining that. Is it normal to have air coming through all vents when the ACC is not on?

·
Registered
9,157 Posts
Yes.
You just disable compressor, not blower or air intake.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts