SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just fitted my long awaited heater hoses today, but unfortunately when I tested the heater, it only worked on the fourth speed (worked perfectly before). I know that this fault relates to the blower resister (replaced when I bought car 3 years ago), but is there a cheap fix for this rather than pay out for a new obviously poor quality replacement at around £70.

cheers

Pete

·
Registered
99 Posts
plastic orange said:
Just fitted my long awaited heater hoses today, but unfortunately when I tested the heater, it only worked on the fourth speed (worked perfectly before). I know that this fault relates to the blower resister (replaced when I bought car 3 years ago), but is there a cheap fix for this rather than pay out for a new obviously poor quality replacement at around £70.

cheers

Pete
If somone could give me more details of the motor and resistor pack then I can write a guide for a very cheap alternative. I'd need to know the resistance for both in the pack, and also motor current - I assume its 12v.

Cheapest would be to get a replacement from a breakers, which was my plan but the chances of finding a working one are quite low and im too lazy to look.

I assume the motor is a 200-300W dc motor, and the resistor pack is a physical resistor, which wastes the extra energy as heat (fan speed on low with the engine off will flatten your battery just as quick as on full).

You can buy high power resistors from most electronics shops (like here, the 200/300w ones at the bottom. *not sure on value, use same as the standard resistor pack, you will need two*) for only a few quid each.. the important thing is to put it somewhere that it wont get too hot (melt/burn out or cause a fire). Im not sure if the original location was very good.. for it to fail so often it must have got quite hot.

The other alternative is a switch mode regulator. These are very efficient so at most there will be 30w or so of waste, it wont flatten your battery with engine off, and should last for ever. One other big advantage is you can chose almost any speed..

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for reply, I'm going down a similar path with a mate who is in to electrics.
If he is successful, I'll post results.

Pete

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.