SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The 87 900s that I bought muct have been a base model, because it had manual windows, no center console, and no sunroof.

Also, it has the metal tags on the seats that say their heated, but there is no switch.

I am wondering if the seats actually have the heating equipment in them, but just need the switch and some wiring. Is this the case?

Steve

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
My '86 had heated seats but no switch. The seats were automatic. If the car was on and it was cold, the seats were on. I think that each seat had a little temperature switch/thermostat.

Edit: Per the Bentley, this is correct. The thermostat is a part of the heating pad itself.

·
Registered
433 Posts
thepuma said:
Could you modify this to work with a switch, instead of an auto thermostat?
Realistically, no. You could easily add a switch to keep them from turning on at all, but the thermostat is in the seat cushon itself, and if you bypassed it and switched them on without regulation, you'd cook your tush.

Before changing anything, wait until next winter to see if they work at all. They probably don't, anyway.

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
no, there is in fact a way to hook up a simple switch as when the seats come on automatically that is a different sensor from the sensor that monitors seat temperature if i recall correctly. i remeber a few people on the forum where their "automatic" hated seats were just always on. more likely they don't work becuase of broken elements, i just did the 5 hour job of fixing mine (well only drivers seat)-just in time for summer:cheesy: , got the a/c fixed and i can ride around with the heated seat on and have a/c, perfect!:lol: . anywho, fixing the elements is easier than you think, lots of testing for continuity, check the plug: top prong to bottom, if no continuity then broken element, they are typically easy to find the break as there is a small burn where is happens most times. the result is very rewarding as on the 3rd level switch my seats get so hot i can't sit on them, 2 seems perfect for me. remeber to first check for voltage at the plug, also you can buy freeze spray to spray on the sensor for them to come on. i should have made a diy guide, becuase i had no clue what i was dooing and it is very simple vs. some guides i did read. my mechanic said if there is a broken element you must replace the several $100 worth of elements, NOT THE CASE!

·
Registered
433 Posts
Perhaps I misspoke, but Bentley shows only the one thermostat in the seat cushion for non-rheostat automatic heated seats. I did a little checking a while ago when I had to remove the driver's seat to fix something else, found voltage at the connector under the seat and deferred on taking the seat apart to check the heating element. I know that it is possible to repair them, but I didn't want to do that at the time. I don't think it's a good idea to bypass the thermostat in the seat if that's what it takes to make it manually controlled.

The freeze spray is a good idea if you want to check the thermostat operation in warm weather.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts