SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I gather that the heated seats in our Saabs are controlled by the external temperature, meaning that if it's only, say, 30 degrees (f) outside, they don't get all that hot, but if it's really cold they'll get much hotter. That's good to hear, as I was concerned why my seats wouldn't seem to warm up this morning (it was right around freezing).

But now I'm wondering; is there a way to force the seats to warm up on command? I'd like a few minutes of hot seats in the morning, even if it is a balmy 30 degrees outside! I don't want to go grounding any circuits or installing extra switches, just wondering if there's a setting I can change to make this happen? (I typically have the climate control set to 70 - would changing that make any difference?)

Thanks, and sorry if this was already answered; I couldn't seem to track it down.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Hmm, I didn't know anything about it :confused:

From what I know the seat heaters are controlled by 4 position switches (0-3) and also internally controlled by thermostat in the seat. Different positions (ex, 1 or 2) of the switch will instruct thermostat to disable heating when different desired temperatures are achieved. I never heard about heated seats being in any way dependent on the outside temperature or ACC settings... Are you sure about this? It would be really neat

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
Sorry but there is no relationship between climate control and heated seats up to MY05 - i dont know if there is one at MY06 upwards. The temperature is only controled by the thermosensor in the seat and the setting of the heater switch.

·
Registered
708 Posts
gghh said:
Sorry but there is no relationship between climate control and heated seats up to MY05 - i dont know if there is one at MY06 upwards. The temperature is only controled by the thermosensor in the seat and the setting of the heater switch.
I would have to agree, they warm up based on the heat selection, on the MY06 two heat settings and OFF.

Regards,
cse_20

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the posts so far, guys. The idea that the seats get hotter on cold days comes from posts like this one:

http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=92896&highlight=heated+seats

Where Kermit says "I believe the heated seats are thermostaticaly controlled, if the outside temp is warmish then you won't get much heat from the seats. Try them on a cold winter morning and you should notice your butt getting scorched on 3."

I've seen clear reference to this in a few other places too, but I'm struggling to find them right now. I guess I could be misinterpreting that?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Also, I just took a look at the manual and it says "The warming-up time varies with the temperature outside" (under the section for the rear heated seats). So there must be some connection between the two?..

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
Looking at the wiring there is no relation (pre 06 cars) - except it takes longer to warm up a seat which has a temperature of minus 30 degree celsius :cheesy:

Only relation could be if the temperature sensor is very cold because the seat core is freezing cold. Then there could be a slightly higher temperature at the surface where the heater wires are located until the seat is heated up.

·
Registered
11,030 Posts
Slight misinterpretation of my post. What i was alluding to was the cars interior being relatively warm overnight due to mild exterior temperatures, then the seat is not gonna heat up much. On cold winter mornings however when you get in and the interior is icy cold the seats will kick in nicely.

G

·
Agreed.

Being cold outside over night will chill the material of the seat, keeping the sensor cold longer even though your but is getting hotter as a result.

Normal.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So is it fair to say the heated seats don't really heat all that much, then? If they just heat up to around body temperature, it makes sense why you'd notice that alot on a frozen seat, but not so much otherwise.

They do heat up every time, but some mornings it feels like they're just a little bit warm while other times they're nice and toasty. Maybe this is just a matter of perception.

·
Registered
708 Posts
DaveNineFive said:
"The warming-up time varies with the temperature outside" (under the section for the rear heated seats). So there must be some connection between the two?..
I would read it as "it's colder outside so the heating will have to first overcome the frozen seat before it warms up the a*s"

The only connection is that the seat is in the car and they are both outside.
Regards,
cse_20

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
Sorry i have overlooked the Backseat - the heating for backseats is controled by the DICE ECU. As DICE knows the outside temperature by the I-Bus its possible that it varies with the outside temperature. There is no temperature sensor in the backseat its only controled by time.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Does anyone know more about the operation of the rear heated seat? In particular, I have shut mine off several times and it always seems to come back on by itself. Does this have anything to do with a passenger sitting on the seat as I have passengers back there often? I'm just wondering because I don't think it should be on if no one is back there.

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
No switch for passenger detection at the rear seat. As long as you dont press the button at the rear cigarette lighter it should stay off.

·
Registered
122 Posts
DaveNineFive said:
So is it fair to say the heated seats don't really heat all that much, then? If they just heat up to around body temperature, it makes sense why you'd notice that alot on a frozen seat, but not so much otherwise.

They do heat up every time, but some mornings it feels like they're just a little bit warm while other times they're nice and toasty. Maybe this is just a matter of perception.
My01 Sedan seems to heat my seat very hot on the highest, burning my butt, which is nice when it is 20f.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Rear Seat Heating Issue

Hmmm, so I went to check it more closely.

I turned the car on the rear seat heater switch light was on after sitting for a while I imagined the seats getting warm from the electronic but think it was really just the warmth of my body transferring into the leather.

I pressed the switch so the light would go out, then turned the ignition off and removed the key. Within seconds I reinserted the key and restarted the car. The light in the switch was illuminated but no heat in the seat. I adjusted the passenger side heat to high. Still no heat.

I removed fuse #10 (supposed to be for the rear heated seats) the light in the switch stayed illuminated. Reinserted fuse.

Checked seat heater connection under the seats, they were connected. So decided to try the seat with the switch light off. Still no heat.

Tried one more time turning off car (light was off on switch when I shut the car off). This time when I turned the car back on the ligh in the switch wasn't illuminated and after pressing the switch several times I couldn't get it to come on. Maybe I should check the fuse again.

Guess those passengers in the rear will just have to deal!

·
Registered
364 Posts
I have a question, is there a way to add heated seats after you purchase the car without it being ridiculously expensive? You see, my car was sold in California and the person there got the cooled seats and no heat, obviously not needed where it's always nice outside. However, I live in the midwest and it can get downright butt chilling till your boys try to crawl back in the stomach, cold. Cooled seats are nice, but heated seats would be much better.

·
Registered
5,682 Posts
I would pop out the plastic pieces where the seat heater switches normal go and see if the wiring is there for heated switches. If so just get you some heated seats.

·
Registered
8,299 Posts
toxicavenger said:
I would pop out the plastic pieces where the seat heater switches normal go and see if the wiring is there for heated switches. If so just get you some heated seats.
I wonder if the heating pads are in teh seat too? May wnato to check for them...

Not a big deal to add...pull off the upholstry form the seats and wire to the switch

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
turboBOOST said:
I pressed the switch so the light would go out, then turned the ignition off and removed the key. Within seconds I reinserted the key and restarted the car. The light in the switch was illuminated but no heat in the seat. I adjusted the passenger side heat to high. Still no heat.
The heated rear seats are controlled purely by the single on-off switch (which has a timed function) in the rear of the centre console, and thermostatically via the DICE as mentioned a few threads earlier.
There is NO control from either of the front seat control switches.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts