SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On the my car the heated seats are not working. The switch seems to work, and it turns green when I press it. But it does not appear that the seats heat up. I can turn on the passenger side when nobody is in it, and it never gets warm. My dealer said it was probably a relay, but it isn't like he looked for the cause, he just was guessing. So if we all think it is a relay, where can I get one?

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
It could either be a bad connection, or it could be that the heating element within the seat has gone bad. After consulting a wiring diagram it turns out thier is no relay for the front heated seats. Rear seats do have one. So are we talking front or rear seats?

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
How on earth can you tell - one way or the other - in this kind of weather;oops: ??

IOW, there MAY be a thermostat in the system.
Haynes shows a variable resistor for the front seats, no relay .
For the rear seats they show a relay, but NO variable resistor !

Sheep-skin covers, IMO, are a much better alternative anyway ..

Most of the relays seem to be common (85 85 87 30 Bosch).
Visit you local friendly junk Yard.
Maybe eEuroParts carries them..
This could even be a "industry standard relay".

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
didn't even know the back had heated seats. Thanks guys. Up here in seattle, in the morning it is nice and cool, so I turn on the passenger seat and drive around and the seat is still cool. And I don't think the driver side is working either. Its a 97 900SE turbo Convertible. It isn't that big of a deal to me, but there are lots of things not working, and I'm just trying to get it all sorted out.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
jared_kipe said:
didn't even know the back had heated seats. Thanks guys. Up here in seattle, in the morning it is nice and cool, so I turn on the passenger seat and drive around and the seat is still cool. And I don't think the driver side is working either. Its a 97 900SE turbo Convertible. It isn't that big of a deal to me, but there are lots of things not working, and I'm just trying to get it all sorted out.
I believe the rear seat heater was an option (or maybe a standard thing on some model...). I know mine is not equipped with it. The button for it is towards the rear of the centre console. You may find a blank square there where the button would be located.

I would say the most common failure is within the seat heating element itself, to repair that I think the whole seat needs to be removed to gain access. Something to check would be the fuse, just because the green light on the switch turns on doesn't mean power is going to the seat heater, just means juice is going to the little bulb within the switch. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Until it is less than 70F, your heaters will not activate, just something to consider.

I thought my seat heaters were broken as well, when I tested them out just for kicks on a drive home on a 90F day(with A/C on). Sure enough they did not work. I waited till I was driving in the evening when it hit 68, and sure enough the seat got warm.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you pink cat guy. How easy is it to remove the seat? Oh and I'll test it out now that the weather is cool outside. As a side note, is the SID's temp outside or inside temp?

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
SID displays outside temp, either that or my A/C isn't working :)

Oh and I was incorrect about the seat temperature. This is direct from my manual.

"The heating is thermostatically controlled. It comes on when the temperature of the seat cushion goes below 79F and turns off when it reaches 97F"

So you cannot turn it on unless the seating thermostat reads less than 79. That can take a while especially if your car has been cooking in the sun all day.

I would definitely test this out on a cool evening before you go ripping the seats apart.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts