SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I plan to add an adjustable Thermostat into the system, it will (hopefully) cover both seats which saves cost. I am doign this as i removed my old thermostats becuase they were useless, also i have no temperature sensor in my system. The thermostat i will use is this http://www1.uk.conrad.com/scripts/wgate/zcop_uk/~flNlc3Npb249UDkwX0NPUF9VSzpDX0FHQVRFMTA6MDAwMC4wMGY4LmVlMTg2ZjQ3Jn5odHRwX2NvbnRlbnRfY2hhcnNldD1pc28tODg1OS0xJn5TdGF0ZT0xNzc5MTIwNDQz====?~template=PCAT_AREA_S_BROWSE&mfhelp=&p_selected_area=%24ROOT&p_selected_area_fh=&perform_special_action=&glb_user_js=Y&shop=UK&vgl_artikel_in_index=&product_show_id=&p_page_to_display=DirektSearch&~cookies=&zhmmh_lfo=&zhmmh_area_kz=&s_haupt_kategorie=&p_searchstring=thermostat&p_searchstring_artnr=&p_search_category=alle&r3_matn=&insert_kz=&area_s_url=&brand=&amount=&new_item_quantity=&area_url=&direkt_aufriss_area=&p_countdown=&p_80=&p_80_category=&p_80_article=&p_next_template_after_login=&mindestbestellwert=&login=&password=&bpemail=&bpid=&url=&show_wk=&use_search=1&p_back_template=&template=&titel=&darsteller=&regisseur=&anbieter=&genre=&fsk=&jahr=&jahr2=&dvd_error=X&dvd_empty_error=X&dvd_year_error=&call_dvd=&kna_news=&p_status_scenario=&documentselector=&aktiv=&p_load_area=$ROOT&p_artikelbilder_mode=&p_sortopt=&page=&p_c

here are the Diagrams and relavent info.

I need you guys to confirm this will work or i am a complete numpty :p
Jim

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
UGH!!! i cant get the hyperlink to work!!!! please can a mod fix this!!!

it is :

http://www1.uk.conrad.com/scripts/wgate/zcop_uk/~flNlc3Npb249UDkwX0NPUF9VSzpDX0FHQVRFMTA6MDAwMC4wMGY4LmVlMTg2ZjQ3Jn5odHRwX2NvbnRlbnRfY2hhcnNldD1pc28tODg1OS0xJn5TdGF0ZT0xNzc5MTIwNDQz====?~template=PCAT_AREA_S_BROWSE&mfhelp=&p_selected_area=%24ROOT&p_selected_area_fh=&perform_special_action=&glb_user_js=Y&shop=UK&vgl_artikel_in_index=&product_show_id=&p_page_to_display=DirektSearch&~cookies=&zhmmh_lfo=&zhmmh_area_kz=&s_haupt_kategorie=&p_searchstring=thermostat&p_searchstring_artnr=&p_search_category=alle&r3_matn=&insert_kz=&area_s_url=&brand=&amount=&new_item_quantity=&area_url=&direkt_aufriss_area=&p_countdown=&p_80=&p_80_category=&p_80_article=&p_next_template_after_login=&mindestbestellwert=&login=&password=&bpemail=&bpid=&url=&show_wk=&use_search=1&p_back_template=&template=&titel=&darsteller=&regisseur=&anbieter=&genre=&fsk=&jahr=&jahr2=&dvd_error=X&dvd_empty_error=X&dvd_year_error=&call_dvd=&kna_news=&p_status_scenario=&documentselector=&aktiv=&p_load_area=$ROOT&p_artikelbilder_mode=&p_sortopt=&page=&p_catalog_max_results=10

·
Registered
9,170 Posts
I'm afraid there's not much I can do with a link that is 5 miles long and which points to a page which cannot be displayed anyway.

If the link was to a picture, right click and save picture as, host it yourself on photobucket, and paste any text here.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I will have the temperature probe inserted into the seat base of the drivers seat. at the moment i have no temperature controller so the longer i leave the seat on the hotter it gets, hopefully this system will regulate the temperature at the stock 28 deg Celcius. as for wiring the system, i will take a wire from the seat where the thermostat will be installed and into the dash where it will connect to the appropriate wire as shown in the diagram. having made alterations to the wiring the one probe should hopefully control both seats

But i'd like someone to tell me if the diagram is correct as im no expert in electronics...

·
Registered
12,650 Posts
JimmyG said:
But i'd like someone to tell me if the diagram is correct as im no expert in electronics...
I'm not an expert in electronics, I'm an expert on SAAB wiring diagrams, but I'm not sure exactly what you're asking.
The diagram looks accurate to me, although you didn't include the numerical key that identifies each junction (such as the 152b junction which, if memory serves, is the 29 pin bulkhead connector).
Thermostats on the upholstery don't perform consistently. If you bury it in the foam, it won't be sensitive enough and will overheat. If you leave it on the surface, it will be a literal PITA. They also behave differently when the seat is occupied or empty. The wires break from constant flexing.
I think it would be easier, and certainly more effective, with less fire danger, if you just fixed the system you've got.

...Or, even easier, put in an automatic pad, like you have on the passenger seat, and forget about the rheostat.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Jim Mesthene said:
I'm not an expert in electronics, I'm an expert on SAAB wiring diagrams, but I'm not sure exactly what you're asking.
I have altered the original wiring diagram to show what i intend to do, all the connection blocks are labeled and so is the main fusebox junction. thats if your seeing the right diagram? this one (http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a238/ggxjimmy/saab/WD-heatedseatsmodification.jpg). i might have missed labels on 1 or 2 wires but i think there obvious as to there location.

Jim Mesthene said:
The diagram looks accurate to me, although you didn't include the numerical key that identifies each junction (such as the 152b junction which, if memory serves, is the 29 pin bulkhead connector).
So my modified wiring solution will work?

Jim Mesthene said:
Thermostats on the upholstery don't perform consistently. If you bury it in the foam, it won't be sensitive enough and will overheat. If you leave it on the surface, it will be a literal PITA. They also behave differently when the seat is occupied or empty. The wires break from constant flexing.
I think it would be easier, and certainly more effective, with less fire danger, if you just fixed the system you've got.
The original setup in my car had a button type thermostat in the seat base literally touching the leather. one had a broken connection and both on the passanger side/driver side were not operating correctly.

Jim Mesthene said:
...Or, even easier, put in an automatic pad, like you have on the passenger seat, and forget about the rheostat.
This is sort of what im doing, im automating the temperature control now that i dont have a working thermostat in the seat. there never was a temperature regulator like the original diagram specifies, but the wiring for it was there. which confuses me slightly. If the probes wire falls off then i'll just have to solder it back on like all the other wires that have snapped with age in the heating element.

This is by far the most cost effective solution i can come up with at £15. If someone knows where i can get the original saab thermostats new from, i may buy them. but i've looked high and low :cry: .

·
Registered
12,650 Posts
I saw your intended changes on your linked diagram, and see nothing wrong with the wiring.
I still don't think you'll be able to place the probe where it will work properly. The original thermostst is very sensitive to location, your non-standard probe will be even harder to place.
Try it if you like, but I'd bet against it working adequately.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Two things...

The "thermostat" you have pictured looks like the probe is quite larger than the stock, and works with a capillary tube (the long coiled up copper thing) capillary tubes do not like to be flexed very much, and will likely break if installed in a seat where the driver's posterior will cause it to move around on a regular basis.

As well, the purchase page for that item omits a very critical piece of data - current capacity in the contacts.

I suspect that the current carrying capacity is not very large (.5a max) and will fail over time due to the higher currents in the seat heating grid. (HVAC t-stats are all low current, designed to switch through a relay) You will need to insert a relay into your circuit to alleviate curent draw through your stat.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ugh, i thought it might have been a tube of some sort but didnt stop to think :x

have you any ideas where i can get a replacement button style thermostat?

thanks

·
Registered
165 Posts
EPC shows it available as a separate part:

It comes up at the Saabsite for about $35USD - not much more than the 15quid you were going to pay...

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
hahaha. depends how you look at it :p
i need to re-arrange the wiring, either someone in the past has modded it or its not working correctly, my mate tells me the passenger heated seat turns on wether i have them on or not. soooo time to fish around with wires:confused: .

oh yeh, i had a look on saab site and couldnt find the seat thermostats?! anyone know where abouts they are on the site?

·
Registered
165 Posts
JimmyG said:
oh yeh, i had a look on saab site and couldnt find the seat thermostats?! anyone know where abouts they are on the site?
When I did a part number inquiry, the SaabSite came back as a non-stock item, meaning that they would likely have to order the part from a dealer. - you might want to give your local Saab store a call and find out local pricing for the part number listed above.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Help

Hi there I have a saab 93 with no power or heated seats

Installed the seats wired up the power seats moving ok but no heat
I have already installed the centre console with the heated seat button on
Them.you hit the button the image comes up for 5 secs then goes out,I have all
The old wiring from the donor car help

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
prob a wire in the heating element has bust. do a continuity test to check it. if it has a thermocouple you'll have to make sure its cold when you do the check. otherwise the heating will be disabled. could be the same if there automatic. worth a study of the wiring diagram.

wow. my first tech reply in a long time :p
hope this helps.

from my experience, soldering a broken wire back together doesnt last long. better to just repalce the whole mat. there cheap on ebay.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts