SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my pass. side heated seat works, but i dont think the driver side doesnt work, the light is not on and i dont feel n e heat on my seat...is there a fuse somewhere for it? or what can i do to fix this?

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
There is a fuse for each heated seat. Check it first on the fuse panel. Beyond that there isn't much help I can offer you.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
There is a fuse but I also wouldn't link the light to the operation of the seat, the bulbs fail. Replacing the bulb is easy enough, just pop the switch out, pull off the front and then unsolder and resolder in a new bulb or 12V LED, your choice.

As to the seat, it's pretty common for the drivers side (most worn) to have a broken filament. Again, this is pretty straight forward to fix, you just remove the seat, remove the hog rings that hold the cover on, unclip the half dozen or so that hook over the subframe wires and then pull back the cover. It's most likely to be the bit you sit on, you don't have to remove the whole seat cover.

You'll likely notice the small burnt patch. Scrape away the charred bits, expose some good wire and solder back together.

Couple of other points, I have had a failed heater switch that wouldn't turn the seat on, i've had one that failed always on such that I was the guy driving along at 0 deg C outside with the windows down and I was still sweating as the thermostat wasn't working, just very hot seat.

Furthermore, you could be lucky, it could just be the plug underneath the seat that has come loose but a simple test, at either the seat plug or the back of the switch is to put an ohmmeter across the yellow and black wires. The resistance should be around 2 ohms if the heating element is ok.

Fixing the element takes about an hour if you haven't done it before.

David.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Interesting failure?

Ok the heated drivers seat in my '95 Aero heats the BACK of the seat ONLY the bottom does not heat up? I thought that the heating pads were wired in series and that is there is a break in ONE the OTHER will not heat????:roll:

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
certainly in mine, whenever the element breaks, it takes out both pads so I would agree that they're in series. Perhaps someone at some point wired them in parallel?

·
Registered
739 Posts
djtaylor said:
There is a fuse but I also wouldn't link the light to the operation of the seat, the bulbs fail. Replacing the bulb is easy enough, just pop the switch out, pull off the front and then unsolder and resolder in a new bulb or 12V LED, your choice.

QUOTE]

The back light is out only on the pass. side heated seat switch on my '95 9000 Aero. So I need to replace the bulb. It seems to be in a socket that just TWIST locks into place in the middle of the switch body. Can I just get a Radio shack bulb and put it into this socket base? What are the volts and amps it draws?

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
It sounds very different to all those that I have come across which use wire ended bulbs which are soldered to the PCB. A green cap fits over the bulb to give it the green tint.

If you have the bulb in your hand then just get on that fits. I've tried 12V 80mA ones which are 3mm in diameter. I've used 14v ones (can't remember if they were 60 or 80mA) and i've used 3mm 12V green LED's.

They all work, the only difference that you tend to notice is that when dimming the panel, the LED's stay on longer when everything else has gone off or in other words, they work better at the lower voltages.

David.

·
Saab Mad
3,053 Posts
shortlid said:
Ok the heated drivers seat in my '95 Aero heats the BACK of the seat ONLY the bottom does not heat up? I thought that the heating pads were wired in series and that is there is a break in ONE the OTHER will not heat????:roll:
Yes, they are wired in series.
I guess the previous owner couldn't be bothered to find the burnt spot and to repair the heater wire, so he just hooked the backrest resistance to the connector and went away with it, thinking "half a seat heater is better than nothing". It's quite stupid to do it, not only because the backrest heater will get almost double the tension, but because the thermostat is in the lower part of the seat (in my '87 it's under the driver's right butt) so the heater will always work at full power because the thermostat can't feel the heat.:nono;

How do I know? I did the very same thing in my '87 ;oops: after a few days I was too ashamed about that and fixed the situation the right way.

Shortlid, what does "state side" means? you write it almost everytime you mention your car.... :confused:

·
Registered
739 Posts
Usa

"state side" is stating that the car is USA spec. a lot of others on the board are from England or Europe.:cheesy:

·
Saab Mad
3,053 Posts
Thanks, I though your location was enough to guess where you car was from... :cheesy:

There's some Aussies as well :cheesy: and I think I'm still the only guy from Italy :cool:

·
Registered
5,774 Posts
Here is a great write-up on how to troubleshoot the seat heaters. I'll be using it to figure out why mine isn't quite right this weekend.:)

·
Registered
739 Posts
Got the back light bulb $$$$$$

Well I went to Saab Nashua North and they wanted $12.98 for the back light bulb for the headed seat switch!!!!!:eek: I was about to walk out when they took my offer for $10 which is still WAY too much!!:evil:

·
Registered
190 Posts
QUOTE]

The back light is out only on the pass. side heated seat switch on my '95 9000 Aero. So I need to replace the bulb. It seems to be in a socket that just TWIST locks into place in the middle of the switch body. Can I just get a Radio shack bulb and put it into this socket base? What are the volts and amps it draws?[/QUOTE]

Mine are the same type...socket type. Yes, go to radio shack and get the 12v-60amp. bulbs. bit tricky to get the bulb out though. I carefully pried the sides off and then broke the leads that connect to them...then put the new bulb in and snapped the metal slides back on ....I did not solder them but they work now. HTH

1 - 15 of 15 Posts