SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the on off heated seats. No adjustments just push for on and push for off.
Two questions
What controls the seat temp, they don't get too hot If-I have heat in my seat
I would like it to melt my pants.
Can I swap out to the rheostat type? I have two and would have to do a little
work to get them to fit . I notice the amount of wires on the back are different does anyone have a wiring diagram?
Things are fine the way they are, but... I just can't leave things alone I think the rheostat would give better control and look better.

·
Registered
980 Posts
There is a thermostat wired in series with the heater element in the seat cushion. It's in the dead center of the seat cushion, all the way back approx. where the seat back meets the seat cushion. It's a sealed unit; non-adjustable. I've got the same complaint on my 1995 900S with cloth seats; they only get warm. The ones on my 2006 9-3 and my wifes 2000 Yukon (both leather) get much warmer; especially the Yukon; it's "rump roast". I suppose you could bypass the t-stat and put in a rheostat in th dash if you were so inclined. I've found the life of the heating element to be on the short side. The driver's side seat cushion element tends to burn out due to all the stretching that it encounters every time you get in the car. The first time mine failed I replaced it ($105 for the element many years ago). Since then, I've just been mending it by soldering in a short piece of wire to bridge the burnt-out sections. Forcing the seat to run warmer, by bypassing the t-stat, would likely shorten its life even more. If you really want to make an improvement, you'd probably be better off replacing the element in the seat cushion with one of the aftermarket heaters that don't use a plain wire type heating element. IIRC, the element in the cushion is wired in series with element in the seatback, therefore if you went to an aftermarket element in the cushion, it would need to be of comparable resistance to work properly wth the element in the seatback.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts