SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possible to replace the heating element on the back window or does the whole glass need replacing ?

If so has anyone got any idea of the cost of the glass ?

Its getting to that time of year where it is taking ages for the glass to clear and then can mist up very quickly .One element seems to work but the rest don't.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Fakie on Nov 27, 2001 9:47pm ]</font>

·
Registered
4,524 Posts
I have the same problem on my T16S, but I have about three elements working! I keep meaning to fix it but you know how it is!

You can buy a repair kit from Halfords which consists of some conductive paint, a brush and a template to apply it onto. You can probably get something simular from Maplins as well.

One thing to watch out for. I bought a kit and opened the bottle and it was completely dry! I took it back and they opened two more bottles in front of me and they were completely dry as well! The other thing is that when you do eventually get a bottle that does contain some liquid there isn't much of it, so you may need more than one bottle if you have a lot of elements to do. You have to apply it twice as well. It's £8.00 a go.

Maplins might be a better choice as you can probably get something simular without the brush or template for less money and more liquid.

Simon.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Supposing a "stray golfball" went through the rear screen, it would only be about 40 or 50 quid on the insurance to get it replaced and it won't affect your no-claims discount.

Hard luck if you don't live near a golf course, if you catch my drift? :wink:

·
Registered
375 Posts
That reminds me of a true story. Friend of mine had an immaculate black 93 900 se lpt. He was driving on a road in the countryside and a pheasant flew out from the grass verge. It hit the back of his car near but not directly on the screen and the rear window smashed.
I found it really hard to believe (as you would, in fact as I think about it again...) but it is true. The insurance windscreen replacement cover sorted it with no expense to him.

jeronimo

·
Registered
4,524 Posts
Doesn't that only cover you if you have fully comp insurance?

Simon.

<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR size=1 color=black></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
On 2001-11-27 22:17, Guest wrote:
Supposing a "stray golfball" went through the rear screen, it would only be about 40 or 50 quid on the insurance to get it replaced and it won't affect your no-claims discount.

Hard luck if you don't live near a golf course, if you catch my drift? :wink:
</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR size=1 color=black></TD></TR></TABLE>

·
Registered
4,524 Posts
I think I may have found the perfect solution!

The halfords kit is bit of a pain in the *** as it involves using a paintbrush and a cardboard template not the easiest of ways to apply the conductive paint, especially when your potentially working upside down.

So I thought there must be an easier way.... I have worked in the electronics industry for years not directly with production but pretty close to and I thought there must be something available to fix broken PCB tracks etc., so I had a look through the RS catalogue and found a 'conductive' pen made by a company called Circuit Works. It can be used on glass and is easy to apply as it literally is just like a pen and it only requires one coat and 45 minutes to cure. It is also good for 100 foot! The only downside is the price at £19.00, but if you have a lot of broken elements I reckon you could easily go through two Halfords kits which would be £16.00 and all the application hassle that goes with it!

Simon.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thats sounds alright. The halfords kit is a bit of a pain in the *** though. I have loads of problems with getting dry bottles and also the brush is quite big and not particularly easy to use ...

Looked in the Haynes manual and they say not to attempt to change the glass because it is a professional job. So might go with the pen then.

By the way was quoted 45 quid for rear screen which isn't that bad.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
4 Participants
Fakie
SaabCentral Forums
SaabCentral forum the most comprehensive Saab resource on the internet. Join our discussions on the Saab 9-3, Saab 9-5, Saab 900, Saab 9000 and all other Saab models, choose your forum.
Full Forum Listing