SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, everyone, I have acquired a set of electric heated and ventilated seats for my 9-5 estate (MY2001) and am assured that they were working fine in the car they came from. The problem is, I thought I would just have to supply 12 volts to them to test them prior to fitting, and when I tried this, something wierd happens! The driver's seat electrics all work fine, until you stop playing with the motors for a minute or so, then nothing, until you disconnect and try again. The passenger seat motors won't even work at all, and I wondered whether the relay might be something to do with it, but I have just noticed that someone is selling a set of these on e-bay and says he's unable to test the passenger seat except the individual motors, which fits in with my situation! Am I missing something, or am I just not suited to auto electric experimentation!;oops: Any suggestions from anyone who has done this conversion would be gratefully received, thanks!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hi there, you may have already ruled this out ..... but thought I'd mention it just in case in any way relevant to your own issue :

I seem to think the passenger seat has a sensor to detect presence of a 'body' sitting in it (hence the warning bong for seatbelt not fastened etc.) No such sensor in driver's seat, assumption being that the car wlll always have a driver whenever ignition started....:cool:

I haven't done the conversion you're planning but I did have heated elements retro-fiited to both existing (manual) front seats and IIRC this point arose during testing. But on the other hand ....I may be well wide of the mark...... ;oops:

·
Registered
369 Posts
Not too difficult

Hi I've done this upgrade on both my 9-5's, an estate and a saloon, and it's not too difficult but would advise use of the wiring diagram from the WIS.

From memory the driver's seat requires two live feeds (one permanent for the seat memory), one ground (earth) and a connecting wire to the passenger seat. The passenger seat requires one live and one ground and one wire to the TWICE (under the seat).

On my first install I connected the TWICE wire as required but the pass. seat would not work - I then discovered that it was a simple ground wire and ground it within the wiring loom. The seat worked perfectly, I can only assume that it didn't work with the TWICE as the car didn't know it now had electric seats. I didn't connect to the IBUS at all and no problems. The pass. seat works at all times, there doesn't need to be a butt on it, the driver's only with the ignition on. A year after install and they're both working perfectly.

The vented option required far more wiring to complete as there are 3 wires from each seat to the switch and then wires to each switch and to the fuse box. I used the wiring connectors from the donor car to replace the seat connector in my car and for the vented switches.

Hope this is of some help but you really do need a wiring diagram.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts