SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after i changed my turbo to a little bigger, i have noticed that my enginebay gets really warm on drive, i mean really hot. So what to do with it? I do not have the original heatshield on manifold, should i get one? How about wrapping the dp? Manifold is too extreme to wrap, becouse its shape, i think? Watergauge stays ALWAYS on the right spot when the motor is warmed on drive, and it cools down very slow too

·
Premium Member
11,181 Posts
What stage tune are you running? Are you running a full 3" exhaust? What injectors do you have? I am thinking your EGTs could be too high. Have you removed the rubber seal at the back of the hood? This will let the air flow over the engine more.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
A heatsheild is fitted for a reason;) - I think you will find your problem is solved once you fit it.

·
Premium Member
11,181 Posts
A heatsheild is fitted for a reason;) - I think you will find your problem is solved once you fit it.
Earlier cars had no heat shield. I ran that exact same turbo at Stage 5 JZW without excessive underhood heat and no heat shield. And I had a heavy duty underhood liner in place. But I had 50 lb. injectors and 3" stainless from the turbo back.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Exhaust is full 3", custom home made :cool:
It doesnt leak, i have tested. At the moment, i have stock injectors, stage 3 tune. Waiting to get money for injectors and bosch 044, then get a jzw stage 5 ethanol tune.

I havent removed any rubbers, i could try that.

Well, i dont know abou the egts, dont have gauge for that

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yea, but i dont want to remove manifold for wrapping it. Well, i think i could do it manifold on car, would wrap the dp too. Think that would do the trick

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Keeping the heat in the exhaust manifold means you get more power to drive the turbo. Wrapping can be done with it in situ with thin wrap - fiddly but I've done it. A heatshield reduces the cooling effect on the manifold of air blowing through the radiator.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Kenneth, how much wrap did the manifold take? Im just wondering how much i should order it to the mani and dp. Theres some cheap wrap on ebay, its 4,8 meters long, would that be enough for both?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well i did it, 35€/15metres from local shop.
Wasnt really nice to do manifold on its place, but it is possible. Will post a pic later

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Okay, it helped, and i also removed to rubber seal, i think that will also help a little bit. Damn that wrap stinks bad, well it suppose to stop it in few days. Fiberglas itching in nice thing by the way ;ol;

And this is what it looks like

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Do you notice much difference?

Awh yeah, and wear gloves because its made of fiberglass :cheesy:.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well i noticed difference on enginebay heating.
I did have gloves, but couse the wrap must be wet when installing, after a while i hd to take gloves off, it just didnt work with gloves :roll:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts