SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I noticed that the top of the heat shield underneath the car where the CAT sits has disintegrated away. It’s about a 4 inch by 3 inch piece that’s no longer their. The rest of the heat shield is relatively in fair condition. Do I really need to replace it? Or will it cause me problems if I don’t. I just bought a new CAT and exhaust, so I really don’t wanna spend anymore money unless I have too.

·
Registered
239 Posts
driven said:
Ok so I noticed that the top of the heat shield underneath the car where the CAT sits has disintegrated away. It’s about a 4 inch by 3 inch piece that’s no longer their. The rest of the heat shield is relatively in fair condition. Do I really need to replace it? Or will it cause me problems if I don’t. I just bought a new CAT and exhaust, so I really don’t wanna spend anymore money unless I have too.
Replace the shield or face the wrath of the burned cables gods! CATs get very, very, very hot, and the radiant heat will cook/burn/sear whatever is on top of it without the shield.

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
and the wires to the ecu are right above it, simply not worth it!

·
Registered
5,464 Posts
If you need a third opinion here it is. Yes, repair or replace, there are a multitude of wires that run under the carpet right above the heat shield that will be melted. I think you know what fun that will cause. ;)

eeuroparts.com lists it for $72.90. (hey, you qualify for free shipping, :D )

·
Registered
239 Posts
Matt88S said:
<snip>

...eeuroparts.com lists it for $72.90. (hey, you qualify for free shipping, :D )
Or you can buy a 12x18 piece of weldable for $6.50 and do a quick fix; if you're handy and have a hammer and a stump you could fashion a new one!:cool:

Although I think it's a bit spicy at $72.90, I'd plunk the money to NOT have to deal with cooked cables.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts