SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all!

Now that the ACC has been fixed, again, I have a different issue getting cold air to blow. It appears something is wrong and my SID is not displaying the correct outside temp. It's in the 90s here now, and the temp display changes constantly to show the outside temp, then random (usually much lower) temps. This, of course, causes HOT air to blow, not the cold air that I need.

I don't know if it's related (I'm thinking not) but my SID display does have a ton of missing pixels.

I'm guessing there is a sensor somewhere that needs to be changed, and I'm guessing that sensor is the little "ball" at the top of my dash. Would someone confirm this and/or point me in the right direction. Is this easy to replace?

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
The sensor in question should be the one below the grill, on the inner bumper. These may last forever...:cheesy:
Have you tried any of the thousands of SID pixels fixes,Betty?

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The sensor in question should be the one below the grill, on the inner bumper. These may last forever...:cheesy:
Have you tried any of the thousands of SID pixels fixes,Betty?
I have not, but I am aware of the long thread. :)

I'm not so concerned with the missing pixels as I am about the temp in the SID changing from 70° to 26° to 52° etc., etc. I believe this is an entirely different problem. It seems that there is a sensor somewhere that is not working which means my ACC can't work properly since it must be tied to the sensor. I have no idea where to start looking or what to try. :cry:

·
Registered
12,355 Posts
If I was in Florida, I would set the temp control to LOW and vary the cabin temperature with the fan speed or recirculate function, or both. As it is now in Ohio, I use the LOW temp setting quite often... Ron

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If I was in Florida, I would set the temp control to LOW and vary the cabin temperature with the fan speed or recirculate function, or both. As it is now in Ohio, I use the LOW temp setting quite often... Ron
I've been putting it on LO, and now I'm not getting any cold air. I'm about ready to drive this car off of a cliff.:evil:

·
Registered
10,605 Posts
You should replace the outside temperature sensor if the SID isn't reading correctly. It sits in a round hole behind the front license plate. Another possibility is that it's just fallen out of its holder and is dangling somewhere where it reads the wrong temperature. If you don't see it in the hole behind the license plate, take the grille off and look for a pair of small wires going straight down into the bumper.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Update

It appears the harness for the outside temp sensor was glued or rigged on to my old bumper. I just had the bumper replaced a month ago and it seems that when they prised the sensor off the old bumper the harness end was damaged.

The estimate for fixing this is $10 for the part and $100 for the labor. I'm wondering if this is something I can do easily myself?

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
It appears the harness for the outside temp sensor was glued or rigged on to my old bumper. I just had the bumper replaced a month ago and it seems that when they prised the sensor off the old bumper the harness end was damaged.

The estimate for fixing this is $10 for the part and $100 for the labor. I'm wondering if this is something I can do easily myself?
Easy fix. Get the sensor and find the wires running to the said harness. Solder the two and cover the wires. Where do you live (city) I am sure someone here on the board could fix it for you.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
I think that altho soldering the wires would be best, a crimped connector might be satisfactory, and simpler than soldering. Connectors can be found at any parts store. The crimping tool is a simple ,inexpensive hand tool. By the way, shouldn't the folks who did the damage fix it for free?

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I think that altho soldering the wires would be best, a crimped connector might be satisfactory, and simpler than soldering. Connectors can be found at any parts store. The crimping tool is a simple ,inexpensive hand tool. By the way, shouldn't the folks who did the damage fix it for free?
Unfortunately, the people who messed it up in the first place are long gone. They would be the ones who put the bumper on the car that I just replaced. My guys tried to prise it off the best they could without damaging it, but were obviously not able to do so. I guess they were hoping there wouldn't be any problems.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts