SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its a chilly 32F here in the midwest and while I was driving in this morning I had the temp set to 64F. Noticed it was blowing cool (with some heat, definately not on A/C). I had to crank it up to 70F to get consistent heat out of the vents. Does this sound like the right range?

·
Registered
137 Posts
at any temp the heat is "on" its just a mix of heat. it is completely on without mixture on the HI setting. and completely off on the LO setting

·
Registered
740 Posts
Well, not quite. The heat will be off when it is warm outside and A/C is running. In these conditions heater bypass valve cuts the coolant flow to heater core and there is no heat. This allows for more efficient cooling as there is nothing warm in the HVAC box.

G

·
This is just a characteristic of climate controll. You'll get used to it. It isn't measuring the heat coming out of the vents, rather then temp in the car.

Mine is the same way. Sometimes I think it would be nice to controll the heat output directly.. other times I'm quite happy to be lazy!

DaveH.

G

·
The temperature settings can be a bit strange on mine as well. Sometimes I have to turn it up to 78F just to get a little bit comfortable. The fan is also usually on a high setting and sometimes blowing colder air when I want it to get toasty in the car. It''s not the best ACC I have had in a car but it usually works fine after a few adjustments.

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
Wulf said:
The temperature settings can be a bit strange on mine as well. Sometimes I have to turn it up to 78F just to get a little bit comfortable. The fan is also usually on a high setting and sometimes blowing colder air when I want it to get toasty in the car. It''s not the best ACC I have had in a car but it usually works fine after a few adjustments.
Try re-calibrating! After a while, the stepper motors get a little bit off from what I understand.

This is probably actually the best ACC system I've ever used. I guess it uses the exterior temperature to decide what it thinks you mean by "70." In colder weather, 70 feels hotter because we acclimate, so the car will put out a cooler temperature. In warmer weather, 70 feels cooler, so the car will put out a warmer temperature.

You can adjust how much it takes each variable into account with the Tech II. I want to make it so the sun sensor is more prevalent, I always bake in the sunlight and feel like the car doesn't compensate enough.

G

·
Using the search engine in this forum and entering "calibrate" and ACC", I got the following

calibrate the ACC system by pressing AUTO and OFF at the same time.

G

·
There is always something new to learn about these smart cars. And without the forum, I would never have known what the problem was. :D

I am getting code 19 when doing the check. A quick search shows this info which exactly explains my problem.
Circulation Pump. Short to B+
Circulation Pump. Open Circuit / Short to Ground

Fault symptoms
Experienced cabin temperature is too low when compared to the set temperature

However... the I4 engine doesn't have a circulation pump. I found out before when pressing the Auto button for a few seconds on my car, it shows Spare Heater Activated on my display. The spare heater is only avaiable on the V6.

After reading the "Getting cold" thread, I found this post and the pieces of the puzzle started to fit together.
SectorNine50 said:
The ACC unit you got off of eBay is from a V6, and must be programmed to know that your car doesn't have a circulation pump. Since it thinks your car DOES have a circulation pump, but it can't find it, your throwing a 19 code. I wouldn't spend the money to have it programmed, however, because if your still not getting hot air, then the ACC isn't the problem.
So this leads me to believe the ACC unit in my car is programmed for a 9-5 with a V6 and nothing is mechanically wrong with my car. I just need to use a higher setting to get the temperature desired.

It probably requires a trip to the dealer to have it re-programmed so I'll just leave it as it is for now (closest Saab dealer is 150 miles away).

My apologies to fusionrx for stealing the thread and my thanks to SectorNine50 for helping me figure this out in an earlier, different thread without knowing it.. :cheesy:

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
The "spare heater" feature is an option on some I4's, I remember someone else's Aero had one, so don't rule out the circulation pump just yet.

G

·
This is from the WIS. Not sure if the first line reads if it is fitted for V6s in cold markets or for V6s in all markets and other engines in cold markets. The car manual shows it is only available on the V6.

My car was originally delivered in Florida and spent all its life there so it doesn't seem plausible it was fitted as an accessory later on.

I checked around in the engine bay but wasn't able to locate the pump. That could mean I am not looking in the right place or it just isn't there. The WIS shows a picture of the pump but doesn't show how big it is.

The climate system for cars with V6 engines and for cold markets is equipped with a circulation pump for the heat exchanger. The purpose is to increase the flow through the heat exchanger at low engine speeds so that maximum heating performance can be maintained.

The circulation pump is supplied from +30 from fuse 20 and is controlled on the ground side from pin 23 on the control module.

The control module starts the pump if the engine speed is below 1600 rpm when the outside temperature falls below 0°C. The control module shuts off the pump when the engine speed is above 2000 rpm or when the outside temperature exceeds 5°C.

The circulation pump also makes it possible to utilize the rest heat from the engine to heat the cabin after the engine has been switched off. This function is activated if AUTO is pressed for more than 1.2 s within 10 min of turning off the ignition.

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
What I don't understand is how your ACC unit would end up in V6 mode... :confused:

I guess you could try to have the dealer check to see if you do, in fact, have a circulation pump, or if re-programming the ACC unit will help. It's really very hard to diagnose these problems because the system is so complex and takes so many things into account.

G

·
The most difficult thing will be to explain this to the service writer :D .

I only found the Tech II setting in the WIS so I am not even sure if there is any programming possible for the ACC unit.

Variations with circulation pump: YES
Others: NO

If the car is fitted with circulation pump or if the pump is fitted after delivery, then YES is to be selected.

Hint: A quick way to establish whether the climate system is fitted with a circulation pump is to programme YES and then calibrate. If a circulation pump is not fitted, 19 appears on the right side of the display and NO must be programmed. With a circulation pump, the engine heat can be utilized to heat the cabin by pressing AUTO when the engine is switched off.
All signs indicate I don't have the circulation pump and somehow the Tech II settings are incorrect on my car. I don't really want to spend the money and drive 300 miles roundtrip to have a simple setting changed. :(

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
Wulf said:
The most difficult thing will be to explain this to the service writer :D .

I only found the Tech II setting in the WIS so I am not even sure if there is any programming possible for the ACC unit.
There is programming possible through the Tech II for the ACC unit.

G

·
Amazing how such a simple system on the outside has so many settings and controls so many different things. It's probably a good thing regular saab owners are not able to get into this stuff. However, it would be nice to be able to hook up a laptop and do this ourselves. Of course there should be a "reset to factory settings" button just in case..

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hey this helps me too

Wulf: don't worry about hijacking the thread...

I am always learning more and more stuff about my cars...

Since I have 2 of them that I need to run until they both reach 300 K miles... :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts