SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok folks, I think I have done something stupid. I am in a middle of a move, and can't do much with the car since I bought it couple weeks ago. What I am talking about is the "Big Oil Pan Drop."

I had to get the car over to the new place which was roughly 12 miles away and that is where the car would be put out of commission till everything was done, the pan drop, clean and replace, new brakes and such.

The day before, I took it out for a ride, not a long one just to see what the sport mode does on the highway, of course it ran great, putting a smile on my face. That was after a oil change and a tranny flush done at my mechanic's shop right after purchasing the car.

So....as I was driving over to my mother-in-law's place where my family and I are staying while we search for a new home (with a garage.) The car started to lose power, no lights on the dash, the engine was still running just no power, pulled over for awhile then got back on the road, power came back but then went downhill, was lucky to make it "home" then popped the hood...............

Now, I am profoundly deaf and I wear hearing aids and I know what a smooth running engine sounds/feels like and unfortunely I couldn't hear/feel it while driving.

I have been searching on Youtube for sounds of engines that is about to die and I have been having hard time comparing the bad engines to mine. My wife is hearing and she says she hears the tick, tick, tick sound. I am hoping it isn't something bad. Just lifters or something.

So....Saabers, I ask for your help by listening. Believe me, if she is dead, by higher power, I WILL revive her. Ok, here it is..... the sound of my engine.

http://youtu.be/giP-uyIHaGg

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
have codes pulled at an AUtozone. based on that take off the valve cover and see how bad the top is sludged.
That's the first thing I am gonna do the moment that hood is popped up. Jeez, I can't wait for this move to be over then I am gonna be all over the car like a leech.

Is anyone able to diagnose the noise? Timing chain? Lifters? Rods? Bearings? Its ok, I prepared myself for this, you can tell me if she is dead. I am not letting her go.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Well if you remeber these couple rules you may be able to find the problem. Suck , squeeze, bang, blow . Suck= air coming into your engine , Squeeze= compression , Bang= ignition of that air + fuel mixture, blow = exhaust. first things first, run a compression test; never a bad thing

1 - 4 of 4 Posts